Running Open edX

Installed OPENedX on Ubuntu 20.04 by following these instructions.

The last message after installation is “Installation finished at 2021-01-05 17:09:44”.

How to check if the installation was successful?

Hey @pradeepkumarjha
Did you set EDXAPP_LMS_BASE as described in the second step of installation?
if you did, you can try this:

http://EDXAPP_LMS_BASE/

otherwise, use your host IP address instead.

also, you can run this command to check the status of every service:

/edx/bin/supervisorctl status

Hello,
I set up EDXAPP_LMS_BASE to '“online.myeducation.org” in config.yml file. Do I got to replace ‘myeducation.org’ with my own domain name? I do not have a host IP yet.

Also, I do not see any /edx in my root folder. What to do?

It’s totally impossible. at the first steps of installation, the /edx directory is being created automatically. It may have happened because the installation was not finished properly. have you ever set up an Open edX instance normally on Ubuntu 16.04?
I think your problem is related to the note at the top of the document. check it again:

For Juniper and earlier, see Native Open edX platform Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit Installation.

Warning
This page is a work in progress.

As it’s been mentioned there, The document is in a Work-In-Progress state and not ready to use. Besides, if you want to use your instance you must have a host and an IP address. if you’re looking for a trial, it’s recommended to use Bitnami or the Devstack versions.

Installed Ubuntu 16.04. Followed these instructions. All went smooth till step number 5.

Now, when I execute

/edx/bin/supervisorctl status

terminal says

[sudo] password for edxapp:

What password is this?

That command must be run as a sudoer user, not edxapp user.

Running as sudo user gets this:
sudo /edx/bin/supervisorctl status [sudo] password for home: cms RUNNING pid 3688, uptime 9:23:54 edxapp_worker:cms_default_1 RUNNING pid 19448, uptime 9:31:54 edxapp_worker:cms_high_1 RUNNING pid 19464, uptime 9:31:53 edxapp_worker:lms_default_1 RUNNING pid 19793, uptime 9:31:51 edxapp_worker:lms_high_1 RUNNING pid 19983, uptime 9:31:49 edxapp_worker:lms_high_mem_1 RUNNING pid 20197, uptime 9:31:46 lms RUNNING pid 3466, uptime 9:23:58

Now what?

On doing this, the firefox browser says ‘Unable to connect’

On entering ‘localhost’ in the browser address bar, a page is displayed with title ‘Your Platform Name Here’. Is this good?

1. Where are the other services? ecommerce, insight, …

2. The page heading should be something like this:

if it is, try to login with audit@example.com as username and edx as password

3. if you faced with problems try to check error log files at /edx/var/log/ for example /edx/var/log/lms/edx.log for LMS logs.

My page heading is as you show.

I tried audit@example.com and edx as username and password but it didn’t work. It is running on localhost. I am able to Register and login.

What is the next step?

you tell me what’s next.
you can read Managing Open edX Tips and Tricks. if you installed it on a dedicated server and you have an fqdn you can share it with your customers (learners). login to the studio and define new courses. etc…

I have installed it on a dedicated desktop. I don’t have a fqdn.