What happen when internet connection is disconnected

I have been trying to install openedx using tutor, after spending some hours the connection disconnects. I would like to know what happens to the already downloaded items, would everything start from tthe scratch?

While I was doing download, i noticed that what I was to download was changing e.g.
cms 22 layers [⣿⣿⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣤⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀] 196.3MB/315.1MB Pulling
this changed from 2–?MB to 3–?MB to 4–?MB to 315.1 mb. Please what is really going on?

Please where are all this thing downloaded to i.e. which directory within my ubuntu linux os?

Hi Adron,
If your connection disconnects during the download, Docker is designed to be resilient. It will resume the download from where it left off. Docker uses a layered file system, and each layer is cached on your system. So, if the connection is interrupted, Docker can resume the download by checking what layers it already has (cached) and fetching only the missing ones.

As for the changing size during the download, this is likely due to the fact that Docker images are built in layers. The initial layers might be smaller, and as you download more layers, the overall size of the image increases. The final size you see, in this case, is the total size of all layers combined.

If the issue persists, try increasing the resources for docker

Minimum configuration: 4 GB RAM, 2 CPU, 8 GB disk space
Recommended configuration: 8 GB RAM, 4 CPU, 25 GB disk space

Also delete all the docker containers, check for any dangling images in docker (delete them), and restart your machine, then repeat the installation.

If you still face the issue, try posting your query with more specifications for exact solutions.

@Talha_Malik
Thank you very much, Due to what I experienced I had suspended the installation. So from what you stated it means that the installation would contnue from where it left off after not touching it for like 2 days?

Secndly please where is the location of the downloaded files in my ubuntu OS?

@Adron Yes the installation would continue.

Once the tutor is launched, then you can checkout the location of tutor by running this command in your env:

cd "$(tutor config printroot)"

you can also check the path of installed tutor by running this:

which tutor

I also suggest you to read the documentation especially on how tutor works

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.