What is the difference between Memberpress Courses and Open edX?

Hello!

I’m a French conversation coach, and I took a couple of courses from HarvardX built on the EdX platform.

I already use MemberPress Courses to build my own courses, but I’m very tempted to switch to the self-hosted OpenEdX platform.

I’ve Googled to find differences between these two platforms from a course builder’s point of view without much success.

Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi @Llyane and welcome!

I don’t believe I’ve heard of MemberPress before. This video may help you understand the Open edX platform against some other big names. I hope it’s a good start! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emfEXgMt-gI

Thank you for the resource!
However, I now have MemberPress Courses and wanted to stop paying my subscription. To decide, I need a comparative list of features and functionalities between MemberPress Courses and OpenEdX.

If you can come up with a list of features you utilize in MemberPress, I may be able to help a bit. But as it is a platform that I have not heard of, it’s not one I believe we have a comparison for.

Hi Sarina,

I haven’t started using the ‘Courses’ side of the MemberPress plugin yet. Currently, I only use the Membership part of the plugin, and my courses are created with static pages without any additional functionalities.

I was planning to start using the ‘Courses’ feature when I came across the OpenEdX option.

What initially attracted me to MemberPress was the ability to manage users as members, allowing me to handle subscription payments and revoke access when they stop paying. Subsequently, they added the ‘Courses’ feature.

MemberPress is rated as the #1 Membership plugin for WordPress: 8 Best WordPress Membership Plugins [2021] │Elementor

Many thanks!

Hi, @sarina !
Here is a video that describes the features and use of MemberPress Courses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOedEnUBozw

Hi @Llyane - it sounds like you’re most interested in ecommerce features. Currently our ecommerce integration is with WooCommerce; you can find the documentation here, and the release announcement here.

I don’t know more about the Open edX platform’s ecommerce functionality, unfortunately.

Hi, @sarina thanks for your response!

I’m interested in building my courses, but they must be protected by a membership functionality.

In my research on this forum, I found that the OpenEdX membership functionality has been developed since 2020, so that is not an issue.

My question stands: what is the difference between the MemberPress Courses and OpenEdX course features?

Hi @Llyane - my deepest apologies, I currently don’t have the time to watch a 35 minute video and produce a report. If you can list some features you are interested in, I can point you at the proper documentation (I am a software engineer just trying to be helpful!).

You could also ask on Slack, Slack, in the #wg-marketing room to get in touch with the volunteers in our community who do Marketing work.

1 Like

No problem at all, I didn’t expect you to.

I assumed that MemberPress Courses might interest you since they may become one of the top competitors, given they are the #1 membership WordPress plugin.

I’m surprised that nobody has made a comparative analysis of these two platforms.

Thank you for your help, and I’ll be back with more details.

Hi @Llyane

I’ve created this comparison table to highlight the key differences in features and functionalities between MemberPress Courses and OpenEdX. This should help you see which platform best suits your specific needs.

• Choose MemberPress if:
    -You’re a small business or individual course creator.
    -You need a quick and easy way to create and sell online courses.
    -You’re already using WordPress and want to leverage existing plugins and themes.

• Choose OpenEdX if:
    -You’re a large institution or enterprise with a need for a scalable and customizable learning platform.
    -You require advanced features like gamification, interactive exercises, and detailed analytics.
    -You have a development team to handle the setup and customization.

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your specific needs, budget, and technical expertise.

1 Like

@CatalinaMoralesor this is beyond amazing, thank you SO much, it helps very, very much! xoxo

1 Like

@Llyane You’re welcome! It’s a pleasure to assist you. At Edunext, we’re dedicated to supporting our community and being here for you.

1 Like