After installing a tutor-nightly system is working slow which container can I stop temporary?

hi, I just wanted to ask what is minimum memory requirement to run Tutor Dev nightly. also, I want to ask do we need to run all containers of the nightly version else can stop some containers. because I have a system that is 16GB ram with 500GB SSD but still after installing Tutor nightly my system works very slowly and it’s using whole memory to anyone suggest to me which container should we stop? here are my running containers.

do I need to increase my system memory?

CONTAINER'NAME

tutor_nightly_dev-cms-worker-1
tutor_nightly_dev-account-1
tutor_nightly_dev-ora-grading-1
tutor_nightly_dev-communications-1
tutor_nightly_dev-profile-1
tutor_nightly_dev-cms-1
tutor_nightly_dev-lms-worker-1
tutor_nightly_dev-learning-1
tutor_nightly_dev-authn-1
tutor_nightly_dev-course-authoring-1
tutor_nightly_dev-discussions-1
tutor_nightly_dev-gradebook-1
tutor_nightly_dev-lms-1
tutor_nightly_dev-elasticsearch-1
tutor_nightly_dev-redis-1
tutor_nightly_dev-mongodb-1
tutor_nightly_dev-watchthemes-1
tutor_nightly_dev-mysql-1
tutor_nightly_dev-smtp-1
1 Like

@Yagnesh what you’ve brought up is a known issue with Tutor Dev. It simply wasn’t designed to handle the number of MFEs that Nightly has now!

In the long term, @brian.smith is working bringing the number of MFE containers from ~9 down to 1: Support `npm start` on host for MFE development · Issue #123 · openedx/wg-developer-experience · GitHub

In the short term, there are two things you could do:

• Stop certain MFEs after starting Tutor. You could safely tutor dev stop discussions ora-grading communications course-authoring account profile, unless you wanted to work on any of those particular features.
  • Disable the MFE plugin entirely, and re-run tutor dev do init so that legacy pages are re-enabled where available. This will make so courseware 404s, though.
3 Likes

@kmccormick thanks to you for a quick replay and support :blush:

1 Like

@Yagnesh I’ve shared one other workaround you could use: Workaround for high `tutor dev` memory usage in Palm and Nightly

This one lets you continue using the most important micro-frontends, such as frontend-app-learning.

1 Like

@kmccormick Thank you so much and this plugin is very useful. :blush: