Blockstore Integration Inquiry for Nutmeg release and Tutor Integration

Hello, I’m migrating this topic from the Tutor forums

I’m currently checking in on the current state of the Blockstore with respect to OpenEDX/Tutor.
I’m currently trying to gather any information I can on the current state of integration, and if it’s able to be utilized in a production deployment of tutor.

There was a previous thread on this topic asking a similar question and i’m mostly checking to see if any additional information is available:
Using blockstore with tutor?

I know @fghaas was in discussion with the developers about when this would be integrated in an attempt to develop a tutor-plugin, but they weren’t able to get it integrated for Maple, but were aiming for Nutmeg.

Also i’m seeing that there were recent merges to edx-platform’s master branch in relation to blockstore (i believe in the past couple of months. not sure if that made the cutoff for the nutmeg release or not, or if it was even relevant to what i’m asking)

Any information on this would be helpful, or if anyone has successfully integrated it could you please share how you’ve done it?

1 Like

I don’t have anything new to add here firsthand, because I haven’t yet been able to do any Nutmeg testing. Also, there is currently somewhat reduced urgency on our part to get to Blockstore (and migrate from Libraries v1 to v1) in this release, because we already heard at the Open edX conference that Blockstore-based Libraries v2 do not include the ability to randomize content in Nutmeg — randomized content blocks being our primary Libraries v1 use case.

If others have more information, I’d be keen to learn!

In short, we (as in the community, not tCRIL specifically) are in the final steps of bringing blockstore into edx-platform as a django app. My guesstimate is that it will be tested and used in production in at least one major deployment over the next month or so.

Once that’s done, getting it into Tutor nightly shouldn’t be too hard, as it won’t be a separate IDA - no need to write a plugin. Configuration changes will be necessary, though (there are new endpoints, new database tables, etc).

Once that’s done, it will be a question of backporting it to Nutmeg. In principle this would be too big a change to include in nutmeg.1, but there’s nothing stopping folks from collaborating on a patch. And if there’s enough interest, it might be possible to convince the build-test-release group to include it before Olive.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.