Core Contributor Sprint Retro - 18 February 2023 - 04 March 2023

Find the full report attached or in Listaflow for your convenience:

There have been 252.50 reported hours during this sprint. Gathering this data is only one way to help monitor the success of the Core Contributors project.

Here’s a link to the community public calendar: Open edX Working Group Calendar

Is there anything where you could use help from others? Or that you would like to collaborate on? User
Review or give your opinion in this PR feat: reduce size CSS output file by ghassanmas · Pull Request #266 · openedx/frontend-build · GitHub Ghassan Maslamani
Is anyone looking for UX/UI design assistance on any projects? Ali Hugo
Retrospective - What went well these last two weeks / sprint? User
Tutor is freaking amazing. Most of the OARS work so far involves integrating 3rd party systems and building initialization scripts, and I haven’t found anything I’ve needed to do that Tutor can’t handle. Even just the file templating and variable expansion is so simple, and so powerful, and it just. plain. works.

Thank you so much Regis!
Jill Vogel
Attended the Product Working Group meeting and got a better idea of the PR product review process. Ali Hugo
What did you accomplish in the last two weeks (aka “current sprint”)? (Optional) User
- Created a list of instructions for Farhaan on how to host the monthly AMEA meet-up
- Attended the Product Working Group meet-up
- Went through the list of PR’s ready for product review to see if there were any I could review
Ali Hugo
participated in the helm/large instances group
reviewed oep-18 PR
Felipe Montoya
- Upstreaming course - Sprint & prep - Community-maintained onboarding courses · Issue #11 · openedx/wg-community · GitHub
- Formalize DevOps subgroup - Register the group as a formal working group - Discovery · Issue #12 · openedx/openedx-k8s-harmony · GitHub
- TOC meeting, election iteration TOC Elections - Iterate over first year's process · Issue #91 · openedx/wg-community · GitHub
- Core sprints - Attend & post answers to questions Contributor's Meetup 2023-01-24 · Issue #85 · openedx/wg-community · GitHub
Xavier Antoviaque
Attended meeting of Build-Test-Release Working Group.
Attended meeting of Core Contributor Working Group.
Attended meeting of Developer Experience Working Group.
Attended meeting of the Harmony project.
Attended meeting of the Translations Working Group.
Attended meeting of the Translations Working Group with Transifex and LexiQA.
Reviewed a few translations for fr_CA.
Parse through Discourse and Slack to see if I could help answer some issues.
Read minutes of Working Groups I cannot attend in order to mostly be kept informed on what is going on in the community.
Pierre Mailhot
Complete work on event routing backend issue 235 of event routing backends.
Create two new concepts in openedx xAPI profile on
Zia Fazal
- I debguued the issue of not including German strings in some MFEs which was due incorrect usage of code in Makefile, where ‘de’ was/is used instead of ‘de_De’ ref slack thread Slack
- also relating to the above point I create an issue in BTR to backport some PRs to be included in olive.3 ref issue Backport for Olive.3 · Issue #253 · openedx/wg-build-test-release · GitHub
- I spend some time in the forum answering questions or give an opinion
- Attended WGs meeting.
Ghassan Maslamani
Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind…

* Great progress on openedx-oars#30 – integrating Superset with Clickhouse is nearly done, just tutor-contrib-superset#6 and tutor-contrib-oars#3 to go.
Jill Vogel
What will you work on for during the next two weeks / sprint? (Optional) User
Collaborating with Brian to:
* Finish the OARS demo site.
* Write talk about OARS for conference.
Jill Vogel
I’d like to work on improving the user experience of this Sprint Retrospective and Planning checkin. Ali Hugo
- Prepare conference talk - Extend draft
- Elections - Review comments & draft proposal
- Core sprints - Attend & post answers to questions
- Product working group - Attend
- Upstreaming course - Project management
- Contributors WG - Groom github board & tickets

2023-02-18 - 2023-03-04.pdf (27.9 KB)
2023-02-18 - 2023-03-04.csv (67.1 KB)

1 Like

@arbrandes I see a request for your review at the end of that PR - is that your review which is necessary, or are you asking for broader input?

@ali_hugo That sounds like a great idea! Do you have any specific ideas in mind? CC @Dean

It would be great imho if there were more interactions about it - it’s async, but it doesn’t have to be passive. More coordination of efforts and intentional planning would be awesome.

Bumping this ^

Summary of work done


  • Complete work on event routing backend (Zia)
  • Create two new concepts in openedx xAPI profile on (Zia)
  • Fix for German strings in some MFEs (Ghassan)
  • OARS - progress on openedx-oars#30 – integrating Superset with Clickhouse is nearly done (Jill)


  • Monthly AMEA meet-up prep (Ali, Farhaan)


  • Tried to find a product PR to review (Ali)
  • reviewed oep-18 PR (Felipe)
  • Reviewed PRs from new contributors to the upstreaming course (Xavier)


  • Reviewed a few translations for fr_CA (Pierre)


  • Upstreaming course - remote sprint (Xavier)
  • Create issue for backports (Ghassan)


  • Formalize DevOps subgroup (Xavier)


  • Meeting, election iteration (Xavier)


  • Answering on forums & Slack (Pierre, Ghassan, Xavier)
  • Working groups meeting attendance
1 Like

Yes, I have many! :nerd_face::

  • Review the Sprint Retrospective user-flow and identify areas where the UX could be improved. I’d love to get feedback from other Core Contributors too, perhaps by asking them to complete a mini remote usability test
  • Add commenting, tagging, and notifications to checklists
  • Overhaul reports (and make @Dean’s life easier in the process!)
  • Make the Lists page more intuitive and user-friendly

I love this idea! Do you think the commenting / tagging / notifications item in my list above would do the trick, or do you have something else in mind?

CC: @Fox_Piacenti

I left a proper review, thanks for the ping!


@ali_hugo Ah, I see, you mean updates to Listaflow right? That sounds like good improvements, +1! You might need to make sure with @Fox_Piacenti that there will be enough development time available to implement them shortly after though, to not end up with too much design backlog at a time?

It could likely help yes!

When I suggested it, I had more in mind changes to how we present the information on the forum - ie the presentation, structure and formatting of the information in the current thread. I was also thinking about linking it to the changes being made to the reporting done as part of the contributor meetup - see Open edX Contributors Meetup - #124 . Ie non-dev/technical changes, more process and presentation improvements to our communication.


Oh, I see. This would be a much more practical place to start, especially considering the limited development time available.

I’m sure we can come up with a no-code way to improve our async planning, reporting etc. I’ll take a look at what’s being done on the reporting for the Contributor Meetup too. Let me brainstorm some options next week and see what I come up with. :thought_balloon:


Async Update - Contributors meetup

February 21, 2023 - March 8, 2023

According to the Contributors’ Meetup Refactoring post, here you have the first Core Contributors async update!

1. Working Groups Updates :raised_hands:

Working Groups Calendar :calendar:

Marketing Working Group

  • Chair: @Eden_Huthmacher
  • Headlines:
    • MWG Conference Presentation: Waiting for the draft to provide feedback.
    • How-to-videos: Recording logistics - Discussion for (Intro, Outro, transition) slides design
    • Brainstorming Session: For increasing global awareness because of the transition from edX to tCRIL
  • Meeting notes:
  • Project board
  • Blockers or Calls/offers for help:

DevOps Working Group

BTR Working Group

DevEx Working Group

Large Instances Working Group

Frontend Working Group

Data Working Group

DEPR Working Group

Product Working Group

  • Chair: @jmakowski
  • Headlines:
    • Open edX Conference Topics: In-person Working Group meeting ideas
    • Product Review of OSPRs
      • New process to:
        • All PRs that require Product Review will have a Feature Ticket created on the Open edX Roadmap. All product review will happen on these Feature Tickets, here.
        • Tickets currently “ready for product review” can be picked up for review
    • Product Review owner + expert directory: Product PR Review: Directory
  • Meeting notes:
  • Project board
  • Blockers or Calls/offers for help:
    • Is there anything you would like to add here, @jmakowski ?


  • From @antoviaque:
    “For now, I can mention that we are working with @abstract-technology and @sampaccoud on an iteration to the election rules. There are also preparations for a town hall discussion between the TOC members and the rest of the community during the upcoming conference. The next TOC meetings should be at the conference and then a formal one in April.”


2. Events :tophat:

3. Projects :rocket:

Would anyone like to highlight any new or ongoing projects?

4. Next async update and meetup :calendar:

  • Monday March 20th - Update async here!
  • Tuesday March 21th - Join the meetup here!

Please reply to this post with any questions or comments you may have!


Thanks for the update, @regis!

1 Like

This is a great async update, thank you @jalondonot

I wonder if it would be better to post these as top-level posts, so they’re not buried in a retro thread.


I agree with @sarina. There is a lot of interesting info here (thanks @jalondonot :slightly_smiling_face: ), so it would be nice if the async updates were placed somewhere where they’re easy to access.

Speaking of suggestions, I’ve started a new topic to brainstorm ideas like this one for improving our Core Contributor processes. Please join in on the discussion if you have any bright ideas.