Core Contributor Sprint Retro - June 24th - July 8th

This is the retrospective for the most recent Core Contributor (CC) sprint from June 24th - July 8th:

1. Calls/Offers for Help

This is what the core team needs help on now. Note that anyone can help – you don’t need to be a Core Contributor (yet!) for that. The question was “Is there anything where you could use help from others? Or that you would like to collaborate on?”

Not at this time. @sambapete
There are two OSPRs boards 2U - External contributions or Open Source Pull Request, which OSPR board should we use or have a preference for? both? :thinking: -they have some PR(s) in common, but the 2U - External contributions is shorter- If the answer is both: when choosing a PR to review, should any of them have more priority (given time concerns or urgency)? I think I need some guidance on what to collaborate on as a content author (CC role). @mgmdi
I’m still looking for repos that want to improve their docs. I’d like to get them hooked up to the new docs site. I’ll be doing this with the DoneXBlock but am looking for others as well. @feanil
Just feedback on the ADRs would be appreciated :slight_smile: @xitij2000
No thanks :slight_smile: @ali_hugo
We still don’t have a defined common project for Kubernetes – we are all continuing to do our own thing in our corner. Could we sit down, and decide of a common project to maintain collaboratively instead? @antoviaque
n/a holiday @sarina

What went well?

What went well these last two weeks / sprint?

Rested a lot. Pierre Mailhot
Nutmeg.2 will have all Open edX Filters! Thanks BTR :celebrating: Maria Grimaldi
Work is moving well but some vacations have slowed things down a bit. Feanil Patel
Since I started with a demo that had proof-of-concept code for the feature, it helped to get my thoughts aligned for the ADRs, and how to break them across Paragon and frontend-platform. Kshitij Sobti
I am finally starting to get confident working in Figma. This is great for future CC work as 2U is planning to move to Figma for most of their design. It’s also helpful for current and future tCRIL projects. I’ve already done a big chunk of my hours for July. Felipe Montoya
We’ve managed to merge this [BD-13][BB-6146] refactor: delete ModuleSystem's `file_data` property by 0x29a · Pull Request #30644 · openedx/edx-platform · GitHub and this [BD-13][BB-6147] refactor: remove `error_descriptor_class` and `NonStaffErrorBlock` by 0x29a · Pull Request #30646 · openedx/edx-platform · GitHub very quickly, which unblocked other tasks. @Agrendalath Piotr Surowiec
It is calm – but this seem to allow for focused work! There have been a few governance documents drafted recently or projects moved forward (maintainers, product working group charter, TOC elections, core contributors time, etc.). This is going a long way towards repaying some of the organizational debt the project has. Xavier Antoviaque
n/a holiday Sarina Canelake

Improvements and Blockers?

Did you experience any blockers or have suggestions for improvements?

Retrospective - Improvements User
Nothing at this time. Pierre Mailhot
I’ve been using a notion template to keep track of my contributions hours, but I start and then completely forget. So I need to be more vigilant with filling in my hours. Any advice is welcome :smiley: Maria Grimaldi
n/a holiday Sarina Canelake
Retrospective - Blockers
The mfe config API has been a bit of a blocker, but this should get resolved today Felipe Montoya

Hours contributed

The total reported hours contributed for the latest sprint: 137 hours

The totals of the hours reported in the last twelve (12) sprints: 2131.72 hours

User Hours Contributed
Feanil Patel 222
Piotr Surowiec 170
Sarina Canelake 166.25
Andrés González 147
Xavier Antoviaque 115.15
Ali Hugo 111.82
Gabriel D’Amours 99.5
Kyle McCormick 90
Zia Fazal 88
Felipe Montoya 85
Maria Grimaldi 84.75
Ghassan Maslamani 80.25
Peter Pinch 75
Edward Edward 70
Braden MacDonald 52
Dean Jay Mathew 45
Igor Degtiarov 43
Kshitij Sobti 41
Adolfo Brandes 40
David Ormsbee 40
Juan Camilo Montoya 38
Pierre Mailhot 36.25
Jillian Vogel 35
Matjaz Gregoric 29
Giovanni Cimolin 28
Sofiane Bebert 20
Jhony Avella 16
Usman Khalid 13
Nizar Mahmoud 10
Steffania Trabucchi 10
Omar Al-Ithawi 7.75
Esteban Etcheverry 7
Nicole Kessler 7
Ilaria Botti 4
JayRam Nai 4
Chintan Joshi 1
Stefania Trabucchi 0
TOTAL: 2131.72

Check-ins

I’m excited to see that many people are almost crossing the 100 hours mark!

Gabriel D’Amours 99.5
Kyle McCormick 90
Zia Fazal 88
Felipe Montoya 85
Maria Grimaldi 84.75
Ghassan Maslamani 80.25

All the raw details and extra information can be found here: Core Contributors - Sprint Planning & Retro - Google Sheets

2 Likes

@Dean Thanks for the report! :slight_smile:

@sarina You want to take this question? The one we have been linking to in recent retros is Contributions · GitHub so I’m assuming that’s the first one to look at, but it could be useful to confirm.

@feanil There wasn’t any volunteer in the call when we discussed it during the contributor meetup – but often you can get more answers by asking specific people. Maybe worth picking 2-3 repos you think would benefit from this, and ask their maintainers or active developers if they are interested?

@xitij2000 During the contributors meetup, @arbrandes mentioned your ADRs and encouraged everyone to have a look. @Felipe seemed happy to see this in the pipe. :slight_smile: Here are the links:

FYI, here is the latest tCRIL issue for the MFE roadmap: MFE priority list - add product value and impact info · Issue #354 · openedx/axim-engineering · GitHub.

We agreed with @Felipe that it would be a good thing to organize a meeting between the different people involved, including the people who can take the decision of what to work on in common. I have an action item to post about this in the thread discussing it and try to find a time: Tech talk/demo: Deploying multiple Open edX instances onto a Kubernetes Cluster with Tutor - #60 by lpm0073

3 Likes

I assume @mgmdi is referring to the Jira OSPR board versus the GitHub board at Contributions · GitHub? The GitHub board is the one to use.

1 Like

Yes! I’m referring exactly to that one. Thank you both!

1 Like