Core Contributor Sprint Retro - July 22nd - August 5th

This is the retrospective for the most recent Core Contributor (CC) sprint from July 22nd - August 5th:

Congratulations to the following people for crossing the 100 hours mark:

Felipe Montoya - eduNEXT
Maria Grimaldi - eduNEXT

Congratulations to the following people for crossing the 200 hours mark:

Sarina Canelake - tCRIL

1. Calls/Offers for Help

This is what the core team needs help on now. Note that anyone can help – you don’t need to be a Core Contributor (yet!) for that.

Is there anything where you could use help from others? Or that you would like to collaborate on? User
Most likely I’ll be asking for other people to review the plan. Felipe Montoya
Some major decisions are being hashed out w.r.t. the Learning Core and what we want our long term LMS content data model to look like. Please check out the arch issues in the openedx-learning repo if you’re interested. Dave Ormsbee
We need more writers in the upstreaming course! Come pass on the knowledge of how to work with an open source project - it’s rare and precious! We all also learn a lot from each other’s practices working on this course - we all become better contributors because of it.
If you’re interested:

Website presenting the course: https://opensourcemasterclass.org/.

Git repo of the Open edX course source: https://gitlab.com/mooc-floss/mooc-floss.

Register for the next remote sprint session! mooc-floss/mooc-floss#124.
Xavier Antoviaque

2. What went well?

What went well these last two weeks / sprint?

Retrospective - What went well these last two weeks / sprint? User
More PR(s) merged! Maria Grimaldi
Vacation and good feedback on ADRs. Feanil Patel
We devised a plan for a joint project for reference large scale hosting. Felipe Montoya
I got the opportunity to interact more with Gabe from 2U.
My understanding of Figma improved.
Ali Hugo
Great discussions and good common ground established during the Kubernetes collaboration discussion - it was nice to see, along with seeing everyone! We should do this more often :slight_smile: Xavier Antoviaque
working with Carlos, Xavier, and Dean on various projects. Sarina Canelake
Lot’s of exciting changes going on around LTI! Giovanni Cimolin da Silva

3. Improvements and Blockers?

Did you experience any blockers or have suggestions for improvements?

Retrospective - Improvements User
It was a bad sprint for DEPRs. The JSME removal caught some 2U users unawares. Peter Pinch
Retrospective - Blockers
Other than on my main repo (LTI consumer), I’m having a hard time picking up CC work (I don’t think there’s a lot of visibility on CC-available work, or at least I don’t know where to find it). Giovanni Cimolin da Silva

4. Hours contributed

The total reported hours contributed for the latest sprint (14 days): 177.25 hours

User Hours Contributed This Sprint
Dave Orsmbee 60
Sarina Canelake 20
Felipe Montoya 15
Igor Degtiarov 13
Xavier Antoviaque 12.25
Maria Grimaldi 10
Feanil Patel 10
Giovanni Cimolin da Silva 9
Ali Hugo 6.5
Pierre Mailhot 6
Dean Jay Mathew 5
Braden M 4
Peter Pinch 3
Jill Vogel 2.5
Ilaria Botti 1

The totals of the hours reported in the last fourteen (14) sprints: 2,598.47 hours

Feanil Patel 232
Sarina Canelake 206
Andrés González 197
Piotr Surowiec 170
Kyle McCormick 150
Xavier Antoviaque 144.65
Edward Edward 130
Ali Hugo 118
Gabriel D’Amours 112
Felipe Montoya 110
Maria Grimaldi 103
Zia Fazal 88
Peter Pinch 84
Ghassan Maslamani 80
Igor Degtiarov 68
Braden MacDonald 64
Dave Orsmbee 60
Dean Jay Mathew 55
Pierre Mailhot 45
Kshitij Sobti 41
Adolfo Brandes 40
David Ormsbee 40
Juan Camilo Montoya 38
Jillian Vogel 35
Matjaz Gregoric 29
Giovanni Cimolin 28
Sofiane Bebert 20
Jhony Avella 16
Usman Khalid 13
Juan Montoya 12
Nizar Mahmoud 10
Steffania Trabucchi 10
Giovanni Cimolin da Silva 9
Omar Al-Ithawi 8
Esteban Etcheverry 7
Nicole Kessler 7
Ilaria Botti 5
Braden M 4
JayRam Nai 4
Jill Vogel 4
Chintan Joshi 1
Stefania Trabucchi 0

5. Check-ins

All the raw details and extra information can be found here: Core Contributors - Sprint Planning & Retro - Google Sheets

2 Likes

@Dean Thank you for the recap! :+1:

Only a few points to address this week:

For those who want to review, this refers to Issues · openedx/openedx-learning · GitHub

From the discussions in the meeting, his one is being addressed, to help avoid those issues in the future. In particular, @pdpinch was reminding everyone to make sure to put effort into thinking through the revert migrations & scenario, to only drop data when we are certain we won’t need to revert back to code depending on it. It’s currently unclear how the migration that caused this issue for 2U (and MIT who also has an instance following master closely) will be handled for the next stable release migrations – people might run into something similar then.

@giovannicimolin To find core contributor work to do, there are a few options:

• The latest checkins recap thread lists requests for collaboration/help – see above, you always have a few options. The checkins threads can be found with this tag: Topics tagged core-sprints
  • You can go have a look at the PRs needing review at Contributions · GitHub - even if it’s on a different repository, a review can be helpful (this will also build up expertise & track record, which can be used to get access to more repos)
  • Taking on a project maintenance task: Issues · openedx/public-engineering · GitHub
  • Going through the latest forum threads, and answering questions from other developers and users
  • Joining working groups & taking on tasks
  • Anything else covered by the core contributor scope document, which can also provide some additional inspiration

Btw, I’m not sure we already have a page listing those - @sarina do you confirm? I could copy this list to a new page on the core contributor wiki, which we can give to new (and old) core contributors? This might be one of the issues with cores who are low on hours, to not be sure what to work on?

2 Likes

The closest we had is woefully outdated - https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/COMM/pages/1729200289/OSPR+Reviews+by+Core+Contributor+Program+Committers - I would welcome someone else to update this

I have created https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/COMM/pages/3507748865/Core+Contributors+How+to+Help+the+Project - please feel free to add your own suggestions, and advertise this page more widely.

2 Likes