Core Contributor Sprints - Improvement Survey

Perfect - I’ll update the questions accordingly then. :+1:

Yup, this is unfortunate, just when we were starting to get used to the tool. :confused: At least we have 2 months to figure it out. I’ll take a task to move to an alternative – if you know a good one to suggest, don’t hesitate.

It might be an opportunity for us to close the loop and use something inside Slack itself? Hopefully there’s a Slack extension like Retrospective Dashboard we could use if you think it could work:

I’ve not tried it yet though.

@antoviaque I think it depends on what features you’re looking for. If exporting to a Google sheet is important to you, that may limit options - in that case maybe a timestamped Google Form would be best because data flows straight to the sheet.

At first glance I like Free Online Agile Retrospective Meetings | Parabol but I don’t know how you’d collect form input like “how many hours did you work”. I’m also not entirely certain you can see which user entered which item.

Exact Process to Run Remote Retrospectives Asynchronously [Effective and Fun] looks cool but I don’t think it’s free, but matches @Dean 's suggestion of everything-in-Slack.

Some sites suggest Miro, although I’m not 100% a fan of Miro. I’d use it though, and tCRIL has a license. I’ve similarly seen https://www.mural.co/ recommended - it has a limited free tier we could work with (only 3 boards, but unlimited users).

This article has a ton of suggestions about remote tools in general: Collaboration Tools for Remote Teams | Smartsheet

@Dean @sarina Thanks for the suggestions! Another one we have been using at OpenCraft is https://monday.com/ (tool makers were very inspired by days of the week, apparently ;p). It is good, but it has problems of its own (price, clunkiness, noisy notifications).

Another good suggestion several people have sent to me is Google Forms – it’s simple but would do the job, and allow easy exporting.

That said, a general issue with every single tool we have found so far is that they are closed source – which is a problem, especially for an open source project. We have tried many (proprietary) tools in that space over time at OpenCraft, and there is always a point where the processes don’t quite fit the tool, and without the ability to make changes to it, we ended up stuck.

Which is why I’ve looked into the possibility of re-using an open-source project we’ve been working on, to solve similar needs around our async reporting & checklist. I wasn’t sure we would be able to offer to adapt it in time to fit the core sprints needs before June, but it looks like @Fox_Piacenti @ali_hugo and @itsjeyd found a way to make it fit, if we want to pursue this. :slight_smile: So what do you think – could this be a good way to replace Friday.app?

Here are a few links to learn more:

Btw, one of the advantages of using an open source tool is that if you see something that doesn’t quite work or would be missing, we can change it – so don’t hesitate, especially now before the adaptations would be designed & developed.

1 Like

@antoviaque

Days of the week :laughing:. Those domain names must be expensive. I see most of them are parked (the .com ones I mean). I guess soon the friday.app domain name will be available :smiley:

That open source solution looks good according to the design mockups. Using Google Forms would be ready-to-go with no overheads, plus easy exporting as you mentioned.

2 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Core contributor sprints - New checkin interface