Cost estimates on AWS for 1500+ students

Hello,

Can anyone give me an estimate for hosting openedx on AWS for 1500+ students ?

I reckon it might cost about $ 2 a day. Still I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

1 Like

@agb3nu

Refer this, you will have some idea about costing.

BTW, welcome to the community!!!

AWS Resources cost estimation is a complex thing. There are a lot of things involved in it including the configuration of AWS resources, Open edX Configuration, Course Material, Integrations, Number of concurrent users etc. Further, the cost of the same AWS resources depends upon the terms you used to utilize the resources like On Demand, 1 Year Commitment, 3 Years Commitment etc. 3 years commitment with AWS slash the cost up to 60%.

A typical setup of AWS resources with 100 GB instance, 32GB RAM, 8 vCPUs will cost around $300 when utilize it On Demand. And this is enough to serve 1500 students if you use the videos delivery from YouTube and Screen Sharing with third party service, like Zoom. But if you host the videos on S3 and use your own streaming server, or use Big Blue Button own hosted solution, then the cost will be different. What I conclude on this topic is: Do and Know - learn by doing practically.