Hawthorn and LTI

Hi,
I have a hawthorn open-edx version, I finished to setup the LTI and it’s working, now how I can read the grades from the external website?

Resources:

Hi @muneera_salah,

Can you add more details about the LTI integration that you are trying to set up?
Are you using the platform as an LTI Tool (display Open edX content on external tool) or as a consumer (display external content inside LMS)?

Since you’re on Hawthorn, I’ll assume that you are using an LTI 1.1 integration since that’s the only supported one in that release.

On this LTI version, the main way to pass grades around is through the LTI Basic Outcomes service (spec).

On the provider (embedding LMS content in external tool), in order for the platform to correctly pass grades back to the external tool, you need to set the correct lis_outcome_service_url provided by your service.

On the LTI Consumer (embedding external content into LMS), the outcome_service_url parameter is automatically added to the LTI message if the block/section is graded.

I followed these steps to enable LTI
https://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/edx-installing-configuring-and-running/en/latest/configuration/lti/enable_lti.html
and it’s working fine I can get the content but I have an issue with the grades/scores it is not reflect at my openedx

I searched a lot about the way to fixing I found these solutions but still not working

Does anyone have any idea to solve an issue with reading grades/scores at openedx?

sorry, can you explain more about outcome_service_url ? Thank you

Hello,
up.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve an issue with reading grades/scores by LTI?

@muneera_salah if you want @giovannicimolin to see your questions, you should ping him in your replies :slight_smile:

@gabrieldamours ok Thank you

@giovannicimolin
I faced this error

[outcomes.py:169] - /edx/app/edxapp/venvs/edxapp/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lti_consumer/outcomes.py:169: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
error_message = “Request body XML parsing error: {} {}”.format(ex.message, body)

Hi
@gabrieldamours @giovannicimolin
Does anyone have any idea about this error?
Thank you

Hi @muneera_salah, sorry for the delay in the reply!

It looks like you’re trying to use the LTI provider functionality of the platform.
There’s a note on the LTI setup page mentioning that this feature is not supported: 12.6.1. Reusing Course Content with LTI — Building and Running an Open edX Course documentation, so it might not be fully functional.

I’ve found these docs that might be able to help you: 12.6. Using Open edX as an LTI Tool Provider — Building and Running an Open edX Course documentation

They mention that the LMS send back grades to the tool after some time, so it might be that you are only having configuration issues.
You can try using saLTIre: Platform emulator (this is a test tool to help you debug your settings) and check if the outcome_service_url is being passed and used by the LMS.

1 Like