Inaugural Working Group Meeting

In an effort to get activities kickstarted with this working group we want to invite anyone and everyone who has built a tool/plugin/platform that builds on data produced by the Open edX platform. I know that @regis has created Cairn, @john has created Figures, and @Andres.Aulasneo created Panorama. If anyone else has projects that I missed, my apologies in advance.

The idea is to record a short demo of your tool with a focus on what use cases/audiences it supports which we can all watch either asynchronously or as a group (happy to take feedback on what folks think is best there). This can then lead to discussion about what information you are using, how you are managing the data flows/pipelines, and any barriers/challenges that we as a community can overcome.

This meeting will serve as a starting point for a longer term set of efforts to build a set of standards and best practices around how to use Open edX data, potential analyses that can/should be supported, and produce a reference architecture that we can support as a community for anyone who wants to get an out-of-the-box experience with edX data.

In order to provide time to record a demo and get something on the calendar I’d like to propose that we meet as a group during the week of October 11th. Please vote on your availability at https://whenavailable.com/event/pPAah1gf8nUWecsf7

3 Likes

Hey Tobias, thanks for organising this. I added my availabilities to the poll.

Cairn is a real-time, fully customizable analytics solution for Open edX. With Cairn, you can perform join queries on your database and your log data. The software is self-hosted (no GDPR headache), open source (but not free), and it works with the latest versions of Open edX on Tutor (Koa, Lilac). The name comes from the stacks of rocks that are frequently found in the mountains to indicate crossroads :wink: You can learn more about cairn right here: Overhang.IO | Tutor Plugins - cairn

I already made a video of a live demo of Cairn: it is not very polished, and it’s a bit long, but I think it’s quite comprehensive:

Please let me know if you have any question about Cairn before the meeting, either by personal message here or on Slack.

@blarghmatey thanks for pushing this group forward, I’ve also fulfilled the poll and would like to join group meetings!

The final time selected for the inaugural meeting is Thu, Oct 14th @ 9:00 am - 10:00 am (America/New_York) (in your timezone: 2021-10-14T13:00:00Z)

We will use Zoom for the conversation with the following details.

Tobias Macey is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Open edX Data Working Group
Time: Oct 14, 2021 09:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Password: 021690

One tap mobile
+16465588656,98867789428# US (New York)
+16699006833,98867789428# US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 988 6778 9428

US : +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833

International Numbers: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

Join by SIP
98867789428@zoomcrc.com

Join by Skype for Business

1 Like

I’d like to join the inaugural meeting, but won’t be able to. We have a Holliday in Ukraine on 14 Oct and I’m going to be out of the city. Hopefully, will join the next time.

@blarghmatey are you going to do a record? I will appreciate it very much.

I’m sorry to hear that you won’t be able to make it. I will definitely be recording the meeting for anyone who isn’t able to attend.

Any other folks working on video presentations of their data solutions? Existing content is fine :slight_smile:

@Andres.Aulasneo @john I think you may have ideas for Panorama and Figures.

@e0d RG has a series of short videos for RG Instructor Analytics solution (this one and related videos) they are pretty old, shortly I’ll know whether new ones are coming.

@e0d We in RG have finished with the new video presentations of our RG Analytics will share links when videos are uploaded to the hosting service.

Hi all, This is the recording of the presentation we did for the Open edX community about Panorama:

Thank you to everyone who participated in the first meeting. The Zoom link for the recording is available at here (requires login)

The meeting notes are available here

The video recording of the meeting is available here (lower resolution)

GMT20211014-130533_Recording.transcript.vtt (63.1 KB)
GMT20211014-130533_Recording.txt (169 Bytes)

The next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, October 28th at 9:00 a.m. U.S. Eastern time. If there are folks who would like to participate but are not able to join at that time then please let us know. We can try to adjust to a more convenient time, or perhaps set an alternating schedule of meetings to accommodate different time zones.

Hey, @blarghmatey first of all thanks for pushing the data group forward, and thank you for recording the video call.

Unfortunately, I cannot open recorded link in zoom (logined, but still have not enough permisssions for that). By the link for download it is just a sound, which is pretty good, but video was announced )))

@e0d we’ve finally had new videos on youtube: starting from that one and below in the list.

Sorry for the late reply. Are you still having troubles with the video? I’m not currently able to replicate the problem when trying to view the low resolution video as an anonymous viewer.

Yes, nothing changed, but I’ve listened to the meeting already, so everything is fine.

Thank you again to everyone who joined the first meeting. I’ve started a new thread to track agendas for the meeting going forward which you can find at Data Working Group Bi-Weekly Meeting

I look forward to seeing everyone again this Thursday, 2021-10-28 at 9:00 am U.S. East (details in the linked thread)