Learners having trouble with completion indicators

I’m curious–are other people experiencing a lot of learner confusion around getting the green checkmark completion indicators? Especially on videos, I’m finding that my learners are having trouble getting the checkmark even when they say they’ve done everything. Wondering if this is a widespread / known problem or something particular to my instance or my learners!

2 Likes

For videos the completion is only registered once a student has watched past 95% of the video. Simply starting a video won’t register it as complete.

Here is roughly how completion works:

• For HTML and most blocks: it’s complete if it’s been visible on page for 5 seconds or more. Opening a unit is not enough, you need to scroll down to the content and ensure it’s visible.
  • For video: it’s complete if the video has been watched past the 95% point. Even skipping to that point works.
  • For graded problems: They are considered complete when an answer is submitted and graded irrespective of whether it’s correct or incorrect.
  • For polls/surveys: It’s when a response is submitted.

You can configure the default interval of 5 seconds to be lower or higher depending on your use case, and can also change the percentage point at which videos are considered complete. The relevant settings can be found here: https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/a9380e2fc91dc82c749dade1a7b29cf1898b3250/lms/envs/common.py#L3942-L3945

1 Like

Thank you for this information.
I have a client on the edX Hawthorn release.

They are having a lot of trouble with the prerequisites and completion rate.
They want their learners to achieve 100% completion with 100% success rate on questions in order to pass to the next subsection.

I have had to (several times), reset the learner state to 0, and login as the learner and re-do the question in order to pass the subsection.

We have also seen learners having trouble with achieving the green progress checkmark on units with an iframe.

If you have any ideas / feedback regarding this - please let me know. I have been struggling with ways to improve the performance of this.

I’m not sure I’ve encountered this before. Would it be possible to share an example? Does simply adding any iframe to the HTML block prevent completion from triggering?

The way this completion on view system works is that the HTML block needs to be fully scrolled into view, and be visible for 5 seconds. So if an HTML block has only the first para visible for 5 seconds it won’t work. The user will have to scroll all the way to the bottom, and spend 5 seconds (by default) viewing that content for it to be considered complete. Perhaps iframes interfere with this somehow.

For reference, here is some context about the design of the completion system.

1 Like

Hi, just thought I would follow up here - in fact the user was on the Hawthorn version. It seems this has been improved in recent edX releases.

1 Like