Course tracking not working

Course tracking as seen in the image above is very temperamental, with the green box sometimes ticking upon students looking at the module and sometimes not triggering. This affects the students progress in the “progress” tab

Is there anyway around this? I have enabled the waffle flag completion.enable_completion_tracking already and it seems to bugged still.

My first guess would be that it is working correctly, but due to how the system is designed, it can often be difficult to tell why it’s “sometimes not triggering”. I gave a 10 minute talk about completion at the conference earlier this year where I explained how it works and why it sometimes doesn’t seem to be marking content as complete. See in particular the part starting at 10:25 (“the reason I mention this is it can sometimes happen that a learner doesn’t get the green check appearing on their unit and it’s not clear why that’s the case…Usually it’s just because somewhere in that unit there’s a component that you haven’t fully completed yet…it’s helpful to be aware of the different ways that that happens…”)

@braden in the video you say that it can be enabled/disabled with completion.enable_completion_tracking. I have it disabled in Nutmeg:

And students still see the checks, they just see “incomplete” for all of them.

Is this the expected behavior? (Because if so, it seems like it changed from Lilac to Nutmeg. In lilac it just didn’t show the checks anymore, which is what I’m shooting for, since I use completion xblocks instead to make students explicitly check off their progress as they go.)

@Rohan Are you using the Learning MFE or the legacy learner UI?

Technically the Waffle flag should simply determine whether or not completion is tracked in the database, not whether or not the green checks are displayed to learners, but I think the same setting was historically used for both.

From a quick look at the new Learner MFE configuration options, there seems to be no setting to disable the green checks, which I think is an oversight. Would you be able to report an issue, if that’s the case?

Learning MFE AFAIK. Hasn’t tutor forced that on by default for a couple releases? (Is there a way I can opt out of it and then it will go back to the Lilac behavior?)

Filed a tracking ticket here: completion.enable_completion_tracking disablement doesn't remove the UI · Issue #245 · openedx/build-test-release-wg · GitHub

Hi @Marco

Great to see you here!

Did you have time to view @braden’s conference talk on this?

Text has to be on screen for at least 5 seconds, and videos must be watched until 95% completion.

Has this issue been resolved for you?

This is still regressed from Maple, in Quince…