LMS How to change the Logo and Platform name

I want to change the Logo and Platform Name in LMS and studio.

Please help me

Hi @alpesh !

The most reliable way to achieve this on a running instance is to:

1. Change these settings in /edx/etc/lms.yml:

• PLATFORM_NAME: "Your platform name goes here"
    • FOOTER_ORGANIZATION_IMAGE: "image/your-logo.png"
  2. Copy your logo image file to the right place under /edx/var/edxapp/staticfiles/.

Unfortunately, due to some annoying security features of the platform, you can’t host your logo image at an arbitrary location; it must live under /edx/var/edxapp/staticfiles/ somewhere, and be readable by the www-data system user.

So FOOTER_ORGANIZATION_IMAGE: image/your-logo.png would be stored at /edx/var/edxapp/staticfiles/image/your-logo.png

3. Restart the LMS service: /edx/bin/supervisorctl restart lms

If you’re running your deployment with Tutor, you can make these changes with a simple Tutor plugin, see Tutor docs: configuration and customization.

If you’re deploying using the old ansible way, you can set EDXAPP_PLATFORM_NAME and EDXAPP_FOOTER_ORGANIZATION_IMAGE in your ansible variables.

1 Like

Hi @jill ,
Thank you so much for your help. I am so happy when I seen an email notification in my inbox from edx community :slight_smile: :innocent:

Well, I am running Lilac version of oped edx on Google cloud.

After so much reading and R&D from different blogs, The changes I made arr,

1. I have created,
    \umc\lms\static\images having logo.png file
    \umc\cms\static\images having 'studio-logo,png' file

2. moved umc directory to ‘/opt/bitnami/apps/edx/edx-platform/themes/

3. Update the umc HomeThemingSite themes › Add site theme
    where site = ‘mydomain name’ and Theme dir name: “umc

4. Restart the edx service sudo /opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh restart edx

But not not effect at all !! :unamused:

So do I have to follow all the step as you mentioned above or I can skip few ones ?

Thank you so much in advance.
PS : please forgive me if I am asking some basic question, as I am very newbie.

Regards
Alpesh

@alpesh

You’ll need to follow all the steps for setting up a custom theme. Bitnami’s instructions are here, and they look complete, but I’ve never used Bitnami before, so am not sure.

Once you’ve run the edxapp-update-assets-lms script, then you’ll need to figure out where your logo image gets copied to, and use that path for FOOTER_ORGANIZATION_IMAGE. From your previous post, I think it’ll end up under /edx/var/edxapp/staticfiles/umc/images/logo.png, so you can use FOOTER_ORGANIZATION_IMAGE: umc/images/logo.png. But you can check that path and make sure.

All those steps are necessary, that’s why I posted them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Jill
Thank you so much for your time and help.

in my local lms.yml is exist at /opt/bitnami/apps/edx/conf. I can not see /etc/ directory inside /opt/bitnami/apps/edx/

Please guide.

Cool, if that’s where your lms.yml file is, then that’s the one to modify.

For (non-Bitnami) native deployments that I use, it’s under /edx/etc, but sounds like Bitnami puts them someplace else.