Problem with Juniper Installation on local machine

I want to test my theme related and other changes in my local installation before pushing to the Production server. So, I am trying to install Juniper on my local machine. I am getting error messages.

Here is the latest log file.

These are the steps I took from the beginning.

  1. Got a fresh Installation of Ubuntu 16.04 on my local machine.
  2. Installed OracleJDK.
  3. Executed the following commands because in previous installations I had faced locales related issues. These commands worked fine.
sudo locale-gen en_US en_US.UTF-8
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get update -y
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo reboot
  1. I opened the ports required by openedx. Following commands worked fine.

sudo ufw enable
sudo ufw allow 22
sudo ufw allow 443
sudo ufw allow 80
sudo ufw allow 18000:18999/tcp

Then I followed the steps from Native Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit Installation and executed the commands as root user accordingly.

  1. Added juniper.3 to bash.

export OPENEDX_RELEASE=open-release/juniper.3

  1. In config.yml, I kept as it is a local installation and saved the file.


  2. Executed the following command.

wget$OPENEDX_RELEASE/util/install/ -O - | sudo -E bash

This I believe worked fine. Here is the screenshot of the last output of execution.

  1. I executed the command to Randomize password which worked fine.

wget$OPENEDX_RELEASE/util/install/ -O - | bash

  1. Then I executed the script where the problems began to appear.

wget$OPENEDX_RELEASE/util/install/ -O - | bash

Here is the old log file.

It said, Ansible failed and Installation failed. I could see a lot of error messages related to Postfix in my log file. So, I started troubleshooting the Postfix issue. Based on this, I removed an extra dot from my hostname and the postfix issue was fixed.

  1. Then I executed the above command again. This time, postfix related errors were gone but some other errors(related to mysql) could be seen and installation failed again. I manually re-instaled mysql and executed the same command again but it did not work. Here is the latest log file.

Any help/suggestion much appreciated. Thank you.

After a certain point, we stop making tags, and ask that everyone install from the tip of the branch. Do you have problems using open-release/juniper.master?

Do you have a suggestion for how we could make this clearer? Where did you find juniper.3 mentioned?

Thank you so much for the response @nedbat.
I changed the value to open-release/juniper.master accordingly. I got juniper.3 from OpenEdx Named Releases link. I missed the paragraph where it recommends use of the master branch instead of tags. It is mentioned clearly in the paragraph. It would be great if we could include a small note just below this line too.

And regarding the problem I was facing, it has been almost fixed (with a few issues left). I am now able to load openEdx in my browser(localhost). The installation however finished with this error message:

Makefile:50: recipe for target ‘production-requirements’ failed.

So, I am going to execute one more time.

I am making a list of the steps I took so far in another reply so that it can be useful to others facing similar issues.

To anyone facing similar issues, I am sharing my experience and steps I took to be able to view openedx on my localhost.

  1. Based on @nedbat’s suggestion, I changed the tag to juniper.master. So, the step 5 from the question becomes:

export OPENEDX_RELEASE=open-release/juniper.master

  1. Then I executed the steps 7, 8 and 9 again.

  2. The last execution ( was still failing. I tried for 4-5 times. Each time it was failing at different points. I could however see some progress. I did the following to view the size of the /edx folder after running the scripts. The size was at least increasing.

cd /edx
sudo du -sh .

  1. I felt some of the things are broken. So I re-installed the OS(Ubuntu 16.04) again to do everything from scratch.

  2. This time, I followed almost the same steps as mentioned in the question with some changes:

5.A. I used open-release/juniper.master instead of open-release/juniper.3.
5.B. Before running any command, I installed postfix with:

sudo apt-get install postfix

It got installed with some issues. So, I edited the /etc/postfix/ file at line no. 31. I removed one extra dot from the value of myhostname.

5.C. I also changed the Download from option from Software and Updates. I changed it from Server for Nepal to Server for United States. This may not be required for you (or also for me). I did this because in last attempts I could see a lot of links with which were failing to download.

5.D. I had to run the last command(the one with script) several times. Each time it was failing at different points but some additional files were loading at /edx folder. Sometimes, my internet connection doesn’t work as expected and does not load some specific sites occasionally. So, I continued running it again and again (4-5) times when it stopped in between.

After testing several things, finally I figured out that the main culprit was the Internet Network. The fix was to use Google’s public DNS instead of the ISP’s.

Also, there is no need to install JDK explicitly. The installation script does it.

1 Like