In the Contributor Meetup a week ago we discussed the creation of a Devops related Working Group that is trying to focus energy and expertise around deployment of the platform.
We currently have three groups that are focused on operations topics:
- Build, Test, Release (BTR), predominately focused on work to produce official platform releases twice annually.
- Developer Experience, which is focused on containerization as a developer accelerator. This group is working on both legacy Devstack and Tutor alternatives.
- The Devops Group, which has been focused on deployments with Kubernetes, but is interested in advancing other operational topics as well.
I believe that all this work is related in a couple ways:
- These topics are likely to be of interest to the same set of people, we should make the most of scarce contributor time and headspace.
- Given our commitment to containerization, we get the most value with differences between our development environments and production environments are minimal.
I also believe that coordination of similar efforts increases value and decreases waste.
Given that, I think we should create an over-arching DevOps Working Group with two sub-groups or task forces. The sub-groups would be:
- Build, Test, Release
- Developer Experience
In order to do this we need an overall leader or leaders for the DevOps Working Group and a leader to assume responsibility for running BTR and shipping the next release, Palm.
Please discussions questions, concerns, and other ideas in this topic. If you are interested in any of these leadership opportunities, please also note that.