You must define OPENEDX_RELEASE

Peace upon those who believe,

When trying to install OpenEdx IroWood on Ubuntu 16.04 32bits,
the first and second commands work,
but when trying the last one, the command of installation, it responds to me: “you must define OPENEDX_RELEASE”, although I’ve run export OPENEDX_RELEASE=open-release/ironwood.master !

1 Like

Yeah @Tunizoo . There is some issue there.
For work around, replace OPENEDX_RELEASE with desired openedx version on the url which you are trying to execute.
It will definitely work!!

1 Like

I don’t think there is a problem with the installation scripts, but if there is, we’d like to know more about it. Can you provide more details? Try the steps again, and pastebin the terminal session contents so we can see what happened.

This happens to me as well. Below is a paste from terminal session. I’m trying to install hawthorn.2 on ubuntu 16.04. (note: I added a space before .com below to bypass the 5 link limitation)

$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/edx/configuration/$OPENEDX_RELEASE/util/install/native.sh -O - | sudo bash
–2020-04-24 05:10:25-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/edx/configuration/open-release/hawthorn.2/util/install/native.sh
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent .com)… 151.101.184.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.184.133|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 3672 (3.6K) [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘STDOUT’

•               100%[===================>]   3.59K  --.-KB/s    in 0s

2020-04-24 05:10:25 (51.3 MB/s) - written to stdout [3672/3672]

You must define OPENEDX_RELEASE
$

1 Like

@shankarab
You need to set OPENEDX_RELEASE value by running on the terminal

`

export OPENEDX_RELEASE=open-release/hawthorn.2

`

I did. Please check the second line that starts with –2020-04-24 05:10:25-- First line is the command I ran, with the variable $OPENEDX_RELEASE, which gets replaced by openrelease/hawthorn.2 in the second line. Hence the variable is defined correctly.

This happens for all releases, hawthorn.2, hawthorn.master etc… The “if” check at the beginning of native.sh is not working right. I downloaded the native.sh file, then commented out the “if” check and ran it, then it works, but still fails at the last block of ansible install, with error message “edx_sandbox.yml” not found. If it fails with hawthorn.master it is ok, because the sandbox yml file is not checked in to the master branch, but it fails for hawthorn.1 and hawthorn.2 as well. i’m stuck.

Also, assuming I’m able to get the native.sh to run without errors, what are the next steps to get edx up and running. i’m not able to find any documentation for configuration after that. thanks!

The native.sh script is correct, it does not need fixing. You are seeing that problem because you ran native.sh like this:

wget <URL-to-native.sh> -O - | sudo bash

You should not have sudo there. It should be:

wget <URL-to-native.sh> -O - | bash

The installation page has the correct command to run:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/edx/configuration/$OPENEDX_RELEASE/util/install/native.sh -O - | bash
1 Like

Thanks. The previous command generate-passwords.sh needed “sudo” without which it was not writing the my-passwords.yml or the passwords-template.yml file. Hence I added it for the next command as well. I removed the “sudo” and native.sh started executing, ended after about 45 mins with a message saying “ansible failed” and the logs are stored in “logs/install-20200425-044254.log”. I searched the whole system with the “find” command (sudo find / -name install-20200425-044254.log), but couldn’t find this file. Do you know where this file is stored? If someone can help me find this file, I’ll paste it here.

During the install I saw some git error message like “branch doesn’t exist”. It scrolled past pretty fast, couldn’t read the whole thing. I believe it must have come from the following snippet in native.sh. My $OPENEDX_RELEASE is set to open-release/hawthorn.2. What configuration repo branch is being checked out here? I dont see a branch name in that format when I browse the edx/configuration repo in the browser.

We have a customer deadline to meet next week. We need to get edx installed and SCORM enabled. Planning on installing the xblock from raccoongang, but unable to get edx up and running.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Snippet below:

CONFIGURATION_VERSION=${CONFIGURATION_VERSION-$OPENEDX_RELEASE}

Clone the configuration repository and run Ansible

cd /var/tmp
git clone https://github.com/edx/configuration
cd configuration
git checkout $CONFIGURATION_VERSION
git pull

In the directory where you run the installation, there should be a logs subdirectory. The filename “logs/install-20200425-044254.log” is literally the way to see that file. I don’t know why it wasn’t created, or if it was, why your find command couldn’t find it.

There is no open-release/hawthorn.2 branch because it is a tag.

Are you sure you are running the installation without modifications? You’ve mentioned a few changes you’ve made to the shell scripts. Perhaps start from the beginning on a clean machine. Keep good track of what you’ve done so that we can debug if something goes wrong.

I did start from a clean VM. The only change I did this time is to use “sudo” with generate-passwords.sh without which the two files were not generated. I first created a directory /edx and ran the commands from that directory. Should I rather run it from /home/user? my user has root privileges.

And there is no /edx/logs directory. Is it possible the install scripts didn’t have permission to create the “logs” directory?

------------- Apparently I can post only 3 replies, hence editing the old reply ---------
this time I created brand new VM, did “sudo mkdir /edx”, then did “sudo chmod 777 /edx”, and then ran the scripts in the /edx directory. this time generate-passwords.sh was able to generate the two files. i followed instructions exactly as provided, but ansible still failed! I also have the logs dir and the log file this time.

paste bin: https://pastebin.com/7gvBsh7U

You shouldn’t need to change the commands from the installation instructions. If it seems like you have to add “sudo” where it isn’t specified in the instructions, then something is already wrong. Find out what that thing is, and fix it. Don’t just “sudo” things to get past problems.

Looking at the log you provided, it might be that hawthorn.2 no longer installs properly.

The error at the end of your pastebin shows:

File "/edx/app/ecommerce/venvs/ecommerce/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/appconf/base.py", line 107
    class AppConf(metaclass=AppConfMetaClass):
                           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

That is Python 3 syntax, but hawthorn.2 runs on Python 2.

Digging further, that line in appconf was created just three months ago. Looks like the django-appconf dependency is not pinned, so it’s getting the latest version, which only runs on Python 3.

Do you need the Hawthorn version? Can you install Ironwood instead?

the reason we are installing hawthorn.2 is because one of our partners told us that scorm xblock would work only in hawthorn. but now we are not able to install hawthorn. so we went back to installing ironwood.master and it succeeded. and installed the https://github.com/raccoongang/edx_xblock_scorm (this also required “sudo” in front of the pip install, without which it failed with “permission denied” error. i didn’t know what else to do with a permission denied error, so used sudo)

I have already started a conversation regarding the scorm xblock install. it is here: Need help installing / enabling scorm xblock I posted the cms edx.log there. If you can also take a look, we will much appreciate it.

thank you

any plans to fix the hawthorn.2 install?

Hawthorn is no longer supported by edX. It’s possible someone in the community will figure out a fix.

Hi @nedbat, ironwood.master is also failing intermittently. I have installed it 4 times so far, and it has failed twice with the following error: https://pastebin.com/7ABDUtN9 I followed the instructions exactly as it was given, didn’t change anything. I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. thanks!

Hi, sorry, ironwood.master was broken. I’ve just applied a fix to it. It should work now.

ah! thank you! will try and let you know.

Thanks @nedbat, we were able to install ironwood.master.

You should not need to use sudo here. You need to install any XBlocks in from the virtualenv in which the platform is installed. You can simply switch to the edxapp user and source the edxapp_env file to get everything set up. Additionally, you can also have any XBlock you want automatically set up by providing it in EDXAPP_EXTRA_REQUIREMENTS in the config.yml file.