Deciding on the "S" and "T" Open edX release names

Hi everyone! :call_me_hand:

It is already that time of the year when we must decide the names of the following releases, specifically, the “S” and “T”. For this purpose, I’m starting this thread where you are going to be able to propose a release name candidate and a short description or motivation for your proposal. This last requirement is optional but recommended since the name with the most votes or likes in this case, will be chosen as the official name for that specific release.

:rotating_light: There are just 3 rules:

1. The candidates must be tree names. :deciduous_tree:
  2. Please make your proposals for the “S” and “T” release names in separate comments. This way will be easier to count the votes for each release. :bulb:
  3. Each person should vote (by clicking the heart in that specific comment) one time for each release. This is one vote for the “S” release, and one vote for the “T” release. Only the likes in each specific comment will count.

The thread will be open for voting until December 1. :spiral_calendar:

Let the games begin! :space_invader:

1 Like

Sycamore

9 Likes

Tamarack

7 Likes

There is a beautiful row of American Sycamores along the road between Harvard and MIT that I love to bike through! Ned, you get my vote.

2 Likes

Sequoia!

Like “Redwood” but it starts with S!

3 Likes

Tamarind!

Tamarind is DELICIOUS! It comes in sour and sweet forms! Tamarind paste is at the heart of many of your favorite meals!

3 Likes

Giant Sequoias are beautiful! They are a type of Redwood, though. And I would definitely have a hard time spelling sequoia on the command line :joy:

There are so many Tamaracks around my home… Ned you get my vote!

Teak!

Teak is a tropical hardwood tree native to India and Southeast Asia. It’s large, deciduous, and mainly found in mixed hardwood forests.

17 Likes

Sumac!

13 Likes

Sandalwood

It’s famous for Its long-lasting aromatic characteristics. It is also said to have relaxing and calming characteristics for humans.

Not that it might matter but I also see a pattern forming with this DogwoodIronwoodRedwoodSandalwood :smile:

3 Likes

My votes go to Teak and Sumac!

Easy to say, easy to spell, and great trees!

2 Likes

My vote goes to Teak!

1 Like

My vote goes to Sourwood!

Just warms my heart to see Tamarind as a candidate :heart: Used to eat so many as a child. Every stage of it is delicious – buds, flowers, young fruit, raw, ripe, dry.

Definitely my vote, if it counts (not sure if it is a CC only vote or otherwise). The silly thing is, I came to propose Teak :joy:

4 Likes

As someone who remembers “Hawthorne” and “Ginko”, I’m a big proponent of easy to spell release names. My votes went to Sumac and Teak. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would have suggested Tulip, except that I’m sure “Tullip” would eventually start sneaking its way into the docs somewhere…

2 Likes

T - Tara

Scientific Name: Caesalpinia spinosa

Family: Fabaceae

Native: Cultivated widely in Mexico

Type: Both Evergreen and Deciduous

Tara has bipinnate, long, oval, primary segments and consists of flower petals, yellow in color, fading reddish, with the upper petals red-spotted.

Its fruit is in crowded racemes in the form of an oblong, long, thick, and pulpy legume.

My other vote goes to Sumac :slight_smile:

I have so many good memories of smelling crushed dried sycamore leaves in the fall. Have to go with that one for the “S” vote. And Teak Japanese-style bathtubs are nice.

1 Like

Sumac is an amazing tree and spice. The staghorn variety is very common in New England.

2 Likes

With my full heart and soul, I believe that the “T” release should be just Tree.

9 Likes