Contributors Meetup Async Update - September 16th, 2023 - September 29th, 2023

Core Contributor Update: Sep 16 - Sep 29, 2023

Use the jump links below to view the section that interests you:

1. Working Groups Updates

Working Groups Calendar

1.1. BTR Working Group

Chair: @jalondonot

:paperclip: Latest news

• What they’re going to do with e-commerce bug reports? (specifically: this one):
    • They’re still supporting Open edX E-Commerce until E-Commerce Coordinator is released.
    • Jorge will list the team members that have access to an e-commerce instance to reach out to them everytime they have.
    • Maksim Sokolskiy will review the issue internally with his team.
  • Palm: Tests for analytic event changes in new MFEs #259
    • Creating an issue to include MFEs test cases for Quince
  • Quince release work plan: Next Release: Quince :deciduous_tree:

Blockers or Calls/offers for help

:memo: Meeting notes

1.2. Contributor Coordination Working Group

Chair: Jorge Londoño

1.3. Data Working Group

Chair: @e0d & @blarghmatey

• Funded Contribution Updates:
    • Redis Bus - completed
    • Aspects data pipelines & reports on break through next month
    • New proposal(s) kicking off this week
  • New events:
    • The Aspects team has added or is in the process of adding some new events to enable v1 reporting:
      • Tracking: Login / logout (merged 9/19)
      • Tracking: Completions (in progress)
      • xAPI: Forum events
      • xAPI: Grading events
      • xAPI: Exam events
      • ClickHouse Sink: User profiles (optional)

• Beta is open: Aspects Beta
    • Feel free to join up, we’ll set up access for you! Communications are in Slack: #aspects
    • Quick demo / walkthrough of where we’re at, and discussions of next steps.

1.4. DEPR Working Group

Chair: @feanil

1.5. DevEx Working Group

Chair: @Rebecca_S_Graber & @kmccormick

1.6. DevOps Working Group

Chair: RĂ©gis Behmo

1.7. Educators Working Group

Chair: @john_curricume

• Alexandria Hsun Yen from The PostDoc Academy gave a short presentation about a “personalized emails” experiment and its effect on student engagement and completion for a course of 1,200 students.
  • Blender” Dashboard demonstration from Campus.il

• Looking for any and all documentors!

1.8. Frontend Working Group

Chair: @arbrandes

• Status of the paragon.alpha migration:
    • It’s moving along, but unlikely to make it into the Quince release: even if it makes it into paragon@master, in addition to a new Paragon release, it will require all MFEs to actually start using it. If we want it in the R release, we need an epic owner for it, and contributors.
      • Brian Smith has tentatively offered to lead the epic once OEP-58 completes
      • Felipe Montoya graciously offered resources for the MFE upgrade effort
    • Links
  • MFE upgrades
    • The formatjs PR to frontend-build just merged!
    • React 17 and react-router-v6 are moving along
      • frontend-app-learning still pending
      • react-router-v6 issues with some MFES and Tutor; Brian Smith notes that such PRs should be tested against Tutor before merging.
  • Frontend Pluggability Summit
    • See forum thread. The date is set for Wed, Oct 25, 14:00 UTC. It’s a 3-hour meeting. If you have ideas or proposals, make sure to prepare them beforehand.
  • MFEs and Quince
    • Learner Dashboard: needs a maintainer first; likely Axim
      • Will try to get it cleaned up for official Quince release
    • Communications: needs i18n fixes, work in progress (also, see Slack thread.)

1.9. Large Instances Working Group

Chair: @braden & @Felipe

1.10. Marketing Working Group

Chair: Eden Huthmacher

1.11. Maintainers

Chair: Edward Zarecor

1.12. Product Working Group

Chair: Jenna Makowski

• :arrow_down: Past meeting notes 2023-09-05 Product “scrum of scrums”:
  • UX/UI Working Group
    • Jon Fay from 2U took us through the latest version of the designs for the new Studio Home page (feel free to leave comments and questions on the file). A few things we discussed:
      • the UX for filtering and sorting courses,
      • when course end dates should be displayed and when they might not be necessary,
      • what type of content is searched when the user enters text into the search bar.
    • Santiago from EduNext ran a mini usability test with Cassie from OpenCraft. The test focused on 2 of the main user flows within the Content Tagging MVP:
      • One: the flow in which content authors add tags to units,
      • Two: the flow in which users search the course outline.
        The test lead to some interesting realizations! EduNext will be conducting the same usability test with a handful of superusers, and Ali Hugo will then update the wireframes for the MVP accordingly.
  • Mobile Working Group
    • Since our last update, we have kicked off a number of projects in development and discovery. During our weekly meetings we have reviewed a number of documents as well focused on identifying the gaps between the edx mobile app and the new open edx mobile apps. Additional details below per project.
  • Mobile API Updates - #fc-0031-mobile-api-migration-axim-raccoongang
    • Development has started to update edx-platform and other services with the right API changes necessary to run the new open edx mobile application. (Approximate delivery date end of September.)
  • Quick Win Feature Gap Project - In Consideration
    • In consideration is a project that should close 13/38 of the feature gaps identified by edx mobile team relative to new open edx mobile apps. A few improvements to video experience (5/13), app upgrade messaging (3/13) and others are included here. Development sizing and product / design definition are in progress currently - Project - Quick Win Feature Gap List
  • Learning Site Selection - In Consideration
    • In queue for mobile development consideration, should allow for providers to build single apps for multiple open edx sites / clients to lower cost to offer a mobile experience to learners - Project - Learning Site Selection (FC-25a). Initial set of product requirements and design mockups available on project page for review.
  • Other projects in consideration that are earlier in the requirement definition process listed below:

1.13. Security Working Group

Chair: Feanil Patel

1.14. TOC

Chair: Ed Zarecor

1.15. Translation Working Group

Chair: Eden Huthmacher

2. Events

• LWMOOCs conference (October 11-13) is accepting Poster Submissions
    Reach out to Mary Ellen Wiltrout on Slack or via the LwMOOCs website: IEEE LwMOOCS 2023

Would anyone like to highlight any past or upcoming events? Let us know in the comments!

3. Projects

Are there any new or ongoing projects you’d like to discuss? Get the conversation started in the comments below.

4. Next async update and meetup

• Tuesday Oct 3 - Join the meetup here!
  • Friday Oct 13 - Async update
  • Details and draft agenda on Confluence

:speech_balloon: Anything to add?

If there’s anything else you’d like to mention, please let us know in the comments below.

3 Likes

@Natalia_Choconta The Open edX meetup is a recurring monthly event and is always listed on our website for reference.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Natalia_Choconta. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a heads up that the jump links at the top of your post are linking to sections within an older post instead of the sections of this post.

thank you, @ali_hugo ! I already updated the links :raised_hands:

1 Like

@braden Are there some repos in there that we could take the maintainership of? Could you check with the core contributors in our team?

How about you (or someone else in your organization) @Felipe @Zia.Fazal @regis @pdpinch @BbrSofiane @Maksim_Sokolskiy @omar ?

This seem to have been pushed by @Michelle_Philbrick @e0d @itsjeyd @ghassan - kudos! The final review is still pending on some of them, so worth keeping an eye on.

1 Like

From the list, only frontend-app-library-authoring and openedx-demo-course stand out as relevant to us. I will check with our team.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. If we end up working on the payment and ecommerce MFEs, it’ll make sense to get ownership of – we hope to do so in the next few months.

At the my team is maintaing few niche repositories such as openedx-translations, edx-ace and openedx-atlas.

1 Like

I am interested in maintaining frontend-app-library-authoring.

1 Like

Most of those seem to have been merged :partying_face: I notice feat: Persian language support added by CodeWithEmad · Pull Request #553 · openedx/frontend-app-course-authoring · GitHub is stuck on a lack of response - @Michelle_Philbrick could that be a good opportunity to offer to T&L to delegate the review to a core contributor?

@antoviaque - it’s only been a couple weeks since I asked for TNL to review feat: Persian language support added by CodeWithEmad · Pull Request #553 · openedx/frontend-app-course-authoring · GitHub, and they’re a busy squad, so they may not have seen it yet. However, it is a maintained repo, so we’d like response times to be a bit better when possible.

I think checking in with them to see if this can be taken off their plates is reasonable. Maybe we can check in the #maintainer Slack channel?

1 Like

@Michelle_Philbrick Sounds good to me! :+1: Who would be the best person to ping for this? Happy to participate to that conversation btw (or even do the ping myself if you want).

@navin Did you end up picking this up? If not, it might be worth joining the maintainers scrum of scrums to bring it up: https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/COMM/pages/3426844690/Maintainership+Pilot#Scrum-of-Scrums - CC @e0d

@antoviaque I was not aware of this meeting, added it to my calendar. Will join today and volunteer for maintaining frontend-app-library-authoring.

1 Like

@antoviaque The meeting invite indicates that it concluded on November 3, still I joined and waited for five minutes and nobody joined. Additionally, TNL will be in charge of frontend-app-library-authoring, according to the list of repos on the Pilot 2 Status page.

@navin Ah, my bad, I didn’t realize the meeting had been terminated - since nobody seem to have seen the question here, the best is probably to go ask in the maintainers-pilot Slack channel. Let me know if that still doesn’t work.

For the list of repos, that list is from the phase 2 of the pilot, so it’s probably out of date - but worth confirming.

1 Like