Discussion is not working

Hi, I have a problem with discussion forums.

Our version is Ficus.
On our site there is an error message:

There has been an error on the EDUSKOP.CZ servers

We’re sorry, this module is temporarily unavailable. Our staff is working to fix it as soon as possible. Please email us at edx@service.zcu.cz to report any problems or downtime.

This is error from console.

JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed with logging active, version 1.4.1
lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:5 JQMIGRATE: jQuery.browser is deprecated
migrateWarn @ lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:5
lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:5 console.trace
lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:5 JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.toggle(handler, handler…) is deprecated
lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:5 console.trace
lms-application.ecc588966829.js:1

Uncaught ReferenceError: Courseware is not defined
at HTMLDocument. (lms-application.ecc588966829.js:1:24824)
at fire (lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:2:11339)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:2:12513)
at Function.ready (lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:2:15403)
at HTMLDocument.completed (lms-main_vendor.a04b73033169.js:2:15670)
eduskop.cz/:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (INTERNAL SERVER ERROR)
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://eduskop.cz/static/common/js/vendor/hls.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Jan

Hi @Topas,

This is a good indication that the problem is server-side. Do you have access to your server logs? If this instance was installed using edx/configuration, you could look at /edx/var/logs/lms/edx.log to start.

Hi, logs is problem too. Latest log is from 2018 only.
I link to file:
https://czv.zcu.cz/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/edx.log_.zip

Thank you

Jan

Yeah, that log file doesn’t help much. You’ll probably have to get logging going again, so it can capture whatever is happening.

The first thing I’d look at is disk space. It’s a pretty common cause of HTTP 500s and truncated log files.

Hi,
To re-run loging i would like to know where are log files defined.
We have found some LOG variables in lms.env.json and cms.env.json

root@thovt:/edx/app/edxapp# grep -i “/edx/var/log” *.json
cms.env.json: “LOG_DIR”: “/edx/var/logs/edx”,
lms.env.json: “LOG_DIR”: “/edx/var/logs/edx”,

but there is not such directory on our server: “/edx/var/logs/edx”, not even “/edx/var/logs” - only /edx/var/log/ exists.
Is this the right place to define variables or we shoud lookup somewhere else?

Thank you
Jan

Yeah, that’s the right place. (Apologies, it’s been a while since I maintained an active instance, and memory failed. :grimacing:) And yes, that’s the right place to define runtime vars.

Hi, thanks.
The disk space where the installation is about 6GB., There will probably not be a problem here. Can changing the logging location cause any problems? Don’t you know?
Thank you

Jan

I never actually tried changing the log location manually via the json files, preferring instead to rely on a new run of edx/configuration (aka edx_ansible) with the appropriate changes made to its configuration.

On the other hand, on an old installation that hasn’t been touched in a while I would totally avoid trying to run ansible. So you’ll likely want to stick to doing it manually. Note that you may also want to reconfigure logrotate so it rotates logs on the new location.

Hi,
we have changed LOG_DIR to already existing path

root@thovt-test:/edx/app/edxapp# grep -i “log_dir” *.json
cms.env.json: “LOG_DIR”: “/edx/var/log/edxapp”,
lms.env.json: “LOG_DIR”: “/edx/var/log/edxapp”,

restarted (hopefuly) everything: /edx/bin/supervisorctl restart all

then we visited a course on web, visited some pages of it, clicked forward and back… and in log is still nothing :frowning:

root@thovt-test:/edx/var/log/edxapp# ls -lR
.:
total 8
drwxr-x— 2 syslog syslog 4096 Feb 1 2017 cms
drwxr-x— 2 syslog syslog 4096 Feb 1 2017 lms

./cms:
total 0

./lms:
total 0

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.