Favorite Papers?

For those of you into educational research, what are some of your favorite papers? Anything from foundational works to “oh how interesting” smaller studies.

I’ll start us off with a few items:

4 Likes

Favourite papers? Sure, I’ll share!

Foundational works:

Oh, how interesting:

• Peer Instruction: Ten years of experience and results. Crouch and Mazur’s Think-pair-share strategy for animating class discussions with clickers. This inpired the UBCPI (UBC’s Peer Instruction) multiple choice question format X-block in Open edX.

• Learning With Concept and Knowledge Maps: A Meta-Analysis Because concept-mapping is a highly complex intellectual task in which students need to comprehend concepts and link them together in a visual representation. The meta-analysis shows the activity is associated with increased knowledge retention.

• Cornell note-taking. Cornell University’s note-taking method is one of the most complete and useful method out there. I cannot understand why so many colleges and universities never teach their students how to take notes, so this is my go-to reference, which I recommend should be added as a reference in the syllabus of all online courses with multiple video lectures.

• Shared note-taking: A Smartphone-based approach to increased student engagement in lectures Because note-taking is really an underrated learning strategy, doing it in teams on a collaborative document can help students stay aware in lectures and develop the skill to a new level. This article gave me ideas on how to better take notes on Google Docs during lectures. It would also be interesting to see how it could be translated to the online context.

3 Likes

Trends 2018 – Learning and teaching in the European Higher Education Area from the European University Association

2 Likes

As edX gets more into degree programs I find myself reading more about administration and workflows related to LIMEADES. Really enjoying it!

“Large, Internet-Mediated, Asynchronous Degrees”

David Joyner (GT): http://www.davidjoyner.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Joyner-L@S2018-SqueezingtheLimeade.pdf

3 Likes

So this is a bit of a curveball, but one of my biggest areas of interest is the overlap between learning and games (being two of my biggest passions), and this is one of my favourite pieces about trust and serendipity in online games - https://www.raphkoster.com/2018/03/16/the-trust-spectrum/

I feel there’s a ton of overlap between how trust forms in games and how online learning communities (or communities in general) interact and collaborate, and it’s an extremely interesting read that I absolutely recommend.

1 Like