HLS subtitles and video completition

Hi everyone!

I’m currently using an HLS (m3u8) video for my course, which includes subtitles in two languages. However, when I play the video, only one language is displayed, and there’s no option to switch between the languages. Is there a way to configure this?

Additionally, I’d like to know if there’s a setting to adjust the percentage of the video that needs to be watched for it to be marked as complete.

My Open edx version is Quince.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @crperez,

Yes, there is a setting to adjust the percentage of the video that needs to be watched for it to be marked as complete.

The setting is called COMPLETION_VIDEO_COMPLETE_PERCENTAGE. By default, it is set to 0.95 (95% of the video). However, you can configure it from Tutor with the value you want.

For example, if you want to require students to watch 80% of the video before it is marked as complete, you would change the value to 0.8.

Regarding your question about subtitles on your videos, I recommend that you check with your video provider to see if they can assist you with this issue. They may have specific settings or tools that can help you add or adjust subtitles for your videos.

I hope this information can help you.

Regards!

Hi Catalina,

Thank you for your response. The COMPLETION_VIDEO_COMPLETE_PERCENTAGE setting works perfectly!

Regarding the HLS video, I noticed that while other video players display the available language options, the Open edX video player does not.

Other player:

Open edX player:

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

if you have individual transcript files for each language then add each one under the Advanced video editor settings:

Thereafter your subtitles will be available in the other languages.

In my testing I found that (even if each subtitle file has a different name) uploading multiple files in the basic editor only changes the default subtitle, instead of adding all versions.
In addition, I also tried adding an MP4 video that has embedded subs and the EdX player does not recognise the embedded subs, it seems you must manually upload each individual transcript file in the advanced editor to get all your subs working.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your response. Ideally, I want to avoid uploading the transcription since the video already has embedded subtitles. However, if there’s no other solution, I might consider this option.

Thanks!