The Big Frontend Working Group Meeting Thread

Recap from the FWG meetings on 2022-04-07 and 2022-04-21 (missed the first one, so this is a conflated version).

TLDW

Node 16 upgrade

The Node 16 upgrade has been moving steadily along. Sadly, @Binod_Pant_2U left us, so I volunteered to head the effort. Phase 1 of the upgrade is complete as far as Nutmeg and Tutor are concerned, which is to say: if the Tutor MFE image is upgraded to Node 16, things should Just Work :tm:.

There is no deadline for Phase 2 (where we remove Node 12 and 14 support), at the moment, except for the expectation that it’ll be done for all relevant MFEs by Olive.

Works in progress

I’m excited to report that some of the issues raised by the MFE survey I’ve been engaged in (thanks for all replies so far!) are already being tackled by the community:

and

We also got a couple of interesting proposals from 2U that were approved pretty much unanimously:

They’re far from complete, but we intend to keep track of them.

What’s up with the Library Authoring MFE?

@Daniel_Quiroga asked for an update on the status of the Library Authoring MFE, and I summed it up as follows:

The MFE itself is still a work-in-progress, and definitely not ready for production. tCRIL is engaging in some spring cleaning, but not adding new features.

The real sticking point with Libraries v2, however, is that there is still no defined way to include library content in existing courses. You can author content, the blockstore backend works (as long as you know how to deploy it), and you can even use the content via LTI, but you definitely can’t use it in courses, yet. So the feature has limited value for most users.

New bug

@dcoa reports a new bug report over in the Overhang forum related to a new version of studio-frontend that apparently affects file uploads. The workaround seems to be pinning it to an ealier patch, but we’re still trying to get a better understading of why the breaking change was made in the first place. First, we need to find out who owns that, though. @AdamStankiewicz, any clue? :slight_smile:

Frontend discussion at the conference?

Aside from @Daniel_Quiroga and me, it’s looking like there won’t be many regular FWG attendees at the conference, so I did not schedule a specific get-together on Friday the 29th. However, since much of our frontend discussion happens in the context of deploying MFEs, I suggest we meet with the BTR group in room D-115 on Friday, and split off if there’s enough interest.

Participants

The following were present for either one or both previous meetings:

Next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Thursday, May 12th at 15:00 UTC (Timezone converter). The draft agenda can be found on #98 on the board.

To be clear, the next meeting is being pushed back a week from May 5th, when it would otherwise have been held. This is simply because I’ll be taking a week off after the conference, and so far I haven’t found somebody to replace me as host.

1 Like