Build-Test-Release Biweekly 2021-03-15
Aaand we’re back!
MFEs on Lilac
On today’s meetup, in addition to our usual crowd (@nedbat, @sambapete, @regis, @blarghmatey, @Maksim_Sokolskiy, @Neo, @pdpinch, @BbrSofiane) we had special guests: @braden, @kmccormick, @djoy, @sarina, and @xitij2000 joined to help figure out what to do about Lilac’s support for MFEs.
Long story short, we’ve tentatively agreed to support the following MFEs on Lilac, both via the Native Installation and Tutor:
This means that until release, work will be coordinated (but not necessarily undertaken) by this group so that the following applies to all three MFEs:
- It passes a minimum standard of documentation: at the very least, the READMEs should have descriptive text that includes use cases, screenshots, and particularly, documentation on that MFE’s environment variables.
- Its basic feature-set (as documented above) works reliably with the rest of the Lilac codebase.
- It’s deployed by default using the Native Installation, and deployable as a plugin using Tutor.
- It is internationalized (i18n), localizable (l10n), and passes minimum accessibility (a11y) standards.
- It is reasonably themable
That last item - in particular, what “reasonable” means - is still up for grabs. We should know more once @xitij2000 completes his initial investigation on MFE theming.
Incoming ADR: the release timeline
We’ve been discussing the possibility of cutting Lilac from master on April 9th for some time, and now we finally have an ADR that can be used for concrete discussion.
Once again, there haven’t been strong objections to pushing this date back, but @pdpinch’s investigation into Identifying in-progress work that won’t land before Lilac is cut is still on-going. If you have any thoughts on the matter, please bring them up here or on that issue ASAP: April 9 is fast approaching!
New and unassigned issues
- [#24] New, assigned to @blarghmatey (thanks!). We need to backport Mongo 4.0 to Koa, by koa.3.
- [#27] New, unassigned (though @sarina has volunteered to help with the documentation bits - thanks!). Support for the Account MFE in Lilac.
- [#28] New, unassigned. Support for the Profile MFE in Lilac.
- [#29] New, unassigned. Support for the Gradebook MFE in Lilac.
- [#5] Old, unassigned. Juniper-Koa upgrade instructions.
Let’s try and wrap these up before April 9th, even if Lilac is not branched off of master on that date.
- OEP-45, ADR 1: Tutor as replacement for edx/configuration
- Base ADRs, role definitions, and assignments
- The bug tracking process ADR
- The release timeline ADR
Thanks for reading! You can use this thread to discuss the above topics, or anything else that doesn’t warrant a new thread.