Coding CC Rights Expansion: Omar Al-Ithawi

Hello Everyone,

as per OEP-54, I’d like to nominate @omar to extend his coding core contributor permissions to the openedx-translations and openedx-atlas repositories.

Motivation
Omar has been working on the implementation of OEP-58 Translations Management and is quickly becoming one of the very few experts in this area of our system. I firmly believe we need more experts in the area of translations available to review and merge PRs, and Omar is definitely an expert at this point, having co-designed the finer points of the OEP-58 implementation.

Prior work
Merged PRs to these repos:

Comment period
Given that the change is of limited scope I believe this review period could be of 1 week as stated in the oep and the date limit should be 12 June 2023.

Thank you all.

2 Likes

Omar has done an incredible job with managing a project that spans so many repositories, as well as with developing robust solutions to any problems that have come up during the process.

I wholeheartedly support this nomination!

1 Like

Not being a coding CC, I never remember if I am allowed to vote or not for rights expansion.

But since I am a CC in the translations working group, I do have an interest in this. So, yes I would support this nomination.

2 Likes

@sambapete you’re allowed to vote on any CC nomination! I think the rules say that at least 5 of the votes need to come from people with the same role, but your input/insight/vote is a really good thing to have. (and, non-CCs can give comments too!)

3 Likes

I happily support @omar 's nomination!
He is already integral to the community, his communication on github and Slack is always friendly, smart, and well-considered, and his expertise in the translations sphere is undeniable. All the C’s!

1 Like

Same as sambapete, not sure if my vote would count or not, but Omar’s translations and his other contributions have helped me a lot so +1 from me too.

1 Like

+1 - @omar has been a trusted core contributor for a long time, and it’s great to see your activity! +1 to the extension of rights.

1 Like

I vote yes and would like to add that I support wholeheartedly this nomination. @omar has been a Core contributor for very long and would be difficult to find someone with more experience in the intrincacies of translations.

1 Like

:+1: Fully support.

1 Like

Another :+1:t2: for Omar.

1 Like

With 8 votes, Omar’s rights are expanded. Congrats :tada: :exclamation:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the trust and support. It’s a pleasure to continue working with the awesome Open edX community and project.

1 Like