I would like to nominate a member of the Translation Working Group, Abderraouf Mehdi Bouhali, for the CC Program in the role of Translation Reviewer, covering Arabic and RTL support.
Abderraouf has consistently aided the Translations WG initiatives, since he joined several months ago. To give back to the community, he has aided in the following areas:
- Arabic translations: achieved a full review / re-translation for a number of MFEs, including all the default ones appearing in nutmeg.
- Dedicated time: over 60 hours (2 weeks of mostly full-time work).
- Covered MFEs: **learning, authn, profile, account, gradebook, course-authoring and e-commerce (1447 strings, 12% of all strings on Transifex).
- RTL support: tested a number of MFEs for RTL support issues and provided fixes.
- Covered MFEs: learning, authn, profile, account, gradebook, course-authoring, and ecommerce
- Contribution: 9 PRs providing 5 fixes for 5 MFEs.
- Community help in slack and forums: responding to inquiries in need for assistance
- Forums: 8 solved issues (in Ops Help and Dev)
- Helped with Olive testing (BTR WG) current. As for his commitment, most of Abderraouf’s contributions to the Open edX Project reflect the following short-term goals of Fennec Technologies, the company for which he works:
- 100% quality Arabic translations.
- 100% RTL support for all Open edX.
- 100% white-labelling (replacement of edX-specific mentions)
- Easier branding of the platform.
The nomination post will be open for two weeks, closing on Nov.10th, 2022. Kindly consider his nomination.
Abderraouf, you have my vote. Thank you for all of your contributions and consistent delivery to aid in the success of the Translation WG and its objectives!
I have seen Abderraouf involvement in both the Translations Working Group and the Build Test Release Working Group since he joined the community. I support his nomination.
I also support Abderraouf’s nomination
I vote yes for Abderraouf!
Totally agree. I support the nomination of Abderraouf
I vote oui + yes for Abderraouf
I definitely welcome @ARMBouhali as a core contributor!
I also vote yesm Abderraouf have been helping with translation to Arabic as well RTL support for MFEs
also Kudos for all the work @ARMBouhali.
We recently added Arabic support to a platform and we also used the Done XBlock. If you use the current Done XBlock in RTL mode the Done XBlock functionality does not work properly. We fixed it in our instance but I’m assume the community available instance is still broken.
I’m just sharing this discovery for interest sakes.
@Dean That’s good news. It would be great if the fix is PR’ed to the official Done XBlock repo. You can count on me for further assistance if needed.
There are indeed many many more RTL support issues out there. For example, the wiki is still LTR-only, and we have worked on its
shamefully-coded RTL fixes in the past.
However, we give at FennecTech the highest priority to new, deprecation-safe UIs (mainly micro-frontends). It totally makes sense to avoid spending time on something that would probably be replaced in the future, unless there is an incentive for it, such as an urgent customer request.
I see you already have enough votes, but of course it’s a +1 from me too, based on your community support in forums and the testing.