Core Contributor Sprint Retro - April 15-29th

Here is the retrospective for the last core contributor sprint:

Calls/offers for help

This is what the core team needs help on now. Note that anyone can help – you don’t need to be a core contributor (yet!) for that:

Is there anything where you could use help from others? Or that you would like to collaborate on?
Not enough people working on upgrading Tutor plugins @Dean
In the next month I would like to line up video content for the CC Onboarding Course, lining up people to participate in creating some video content. Please let me know if you want to be in one! or are at least willing to! They will be short and I can provide an outline of what to talk about. @sarina
Many people is working on data analytics projects. We need to onboard them to the data wg and unify efforts @andres
Gabriel has already agreed to help with reserving the domain for the “Open Source Masterclass”. Thanks to him! @ali_hugo

Improvements & blockers

What is blocking the team currently, as well as suggestions of improvements:

What should we improve? Any blockers?
Define a target strategy for the data wg so that all core contributors can work on a unified project @andres
- Better ways to include people remotely at the conference? Through more/better async components?
- Avoid duplication of work — eg on Tutor+Kubernetes
@antoviaque
I’d like to see all the Calendar Invites for all WGs to be located in one place for anyone to easily access. @Dean
I need to find more time to spend on the Paragon design system. I feel I might be letting the Open edX design team down a bit there… @ali_hugo
Not having a full environment with all plugins upgraded and enabled, or without the capability to install personal plugins in order to install XBlocks, limits the was I can do some tests. I know it’s temporary. @sambapete

What went well?

What went well these last two weeks / sprint?
Meeting in the congress to give a new impulse to the data wg Andrés González
I liked the energy from all the contributors Felipe Montoya
- We had a conference! It was lovely to see (almost) everyone
- Great discussions about governance of core contributors, and of product management
Xavier Antoviaque
I had an amazing time helping with the conference planning and staff shifts! It was a genuine please to see everyone again after 3 years, and to make new friends. Gabriel D’Amours
conference!!! Sarina Canelake
This is my first time testing a release so I don’t have anything to compare my experience to. Buuut the BTR group is so efficient and the test plan so helpful and detailed! Maria Grimaldi
Good work done even though the conference was coming soon and taking up people’s time. Dean Jay Mathew
I got a lot of CC work done, and was able to reach my 20 hour target, even though I wasn’t expecting to. , I also enjoyed getting to know Open edX better by watching some of the virtual talks at the conference :slight_smile: Ali Hugo

Hours contributed

The total reported for the last sprint: 228 hours contributed .

The totals of the hours reported in the last seven sprints:

User Hours contributed
Piotr Surowiec 91
Sarina Canelake 81
Gabriel D’Amours 76
Xavier Antoviaque 74
Zia Fazal 54
Ali Hugo 54
Maria Grimaldi 48
Felipe Montoya 44
Adolfo Brandes 40
David Ormsbee 40
Andrés González 37
Feanil Patel 36
Jillian Vogel 35
Peter Pinch 34
Ghassan Maslamani 30
Juan Camilo Montoya 30
Kyle McCormick 30
Matjaz Gregoric 29
Braden MacDonald 28
Giovanni Cimolin 24
Igor Degtiarov 22
Dean Jay Mathew 21
Feanil Patel 20
Sofiane Bebert 18
Usman Khalid 13
Jhony Avella 11
Kshitij Sobti 11
Nizar Mahmoud 10
Esteban Etcheverry 7
Omar Al-Ithawi 6.5
Pierre Mailhot 5
JayRam Nai 4
Nicole Kessler 2
Chintan Joshi 1
Ilaria Botti 1.5
Total 1067

Check-ins

This sprint both the conference and the nutmeg preparations remain one of the central points mentioned. All the raw details are at:

2 Likes

@sarina count me in for some videos. I’ll await any more news from you.

@sambapete you may have seen Régis recent post here which would open up the number of people contributing to upgrading Tutor (and it’s plugins I’m assuming) and help to bring Tutor upgrades into the mainstream. As you know, Nutmeg Testing is currently at 58.1%. I think this number will drop soon as we increase the scope of test cases in the upcoming days/weeks. Thanks to @mgmdi for performing more than 14 test cases so far and actively looking for more! :woman_genie:

2 Likes

This has been discussed on Tuesday during this Tuesday’s Contributors Meetup :

@Dean will post a list of plugins that need to be upgraded, and discuss with @regis how to coordinate on this kind of work – eg. where to keep the list of tasks to delegate for these upgrades.

In the next month I would like to line up video content for the CC Onboarding Course, lining up people to participate in creating some video content. Please let me know if you want to be in one! or are at least willing to! They will be short and I can provide an outline of what to talk about. (@sarina)

On this one we mentioned to post a reply in the current thread for those who are interested, like @Dean did above. Btw I’m also happy to participate to some of the course videos, where helpful.

Many people is working on data analytics projects. We need to onboard them to the data wg and unify efforts. Define a target strategy for the data wg so that all core contributors can work on a unified project (@andres)

@andres took on the action item to follow-up on this during the next data working group meeting.

Better ways to include people remotely at the conference? Through more/better async components? (@antoviaque)

On this, I took the action item to start a feedback thread about the conference on this forum, which I’ll do shortly.

Avoid duplication of work — eg on Tutor+Kubernetes (@antoviaque)

The next step on this seems to be to continue discussing it, and starting to designate areas where we’ll collaborate? Maybe this could be formalized by submitting a formal OEP for making those part of the official project? I’ll follow-up to make sure we allocate time for those discussions, either async or in a meeting.

I’d like to see all the Calendar Invites for all WGs to be located in one place for anyone to easily access. (@Dean)

@jalondonot will look into this, and try to set something up.

I also see that @Dean has just added some of the missing ones on https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/COMM/pages/46793351/Working+groups

1 Like

@e0d has wanted this for awhile and I believe has set up a calendar. @jalondonot could you please coordinate with him?

1 Like