How to enable Weekly Highlight Emails

Hello, everyone. I have a problem. I can’t find this setting. Anyone know how to set it up?

You will need to be acquainted with the Schedules features of Open edX.

More information here:

The documentation for the latest Open edX Release, Ironwood, is here:

Good luck. It is not easy to setup at first.

Hey @Dexter,
Your question could be very useful for others if you use less images.
keep in mind that search engines are unable to index context inside images.

Hello, I configured the ACE and Sailthru backend in the installation document, and then used the command ./manage.py lms send_recurring_nudge example.comin the LMS container, but there was no mail push. May I ask why this is? Or could you please provide the general process of configuration so that I can check if there is any error in my configuratio.

First, did you make sure your system was able to send email?

Second, did you activate the following Waffle Switch in Django Admin?
dynamic_pacing.studio_course_update

Third, did you activate the following Waffle Flag in Django Admin?
schedules.send_updates_for_course
schedules.create_schedules_for_course

Fourth, did you activate the Weekly Highlights for one or more specific courses in Studio?

Fifth, remember there are 3 types of messages:
python manage.py lms send_recurring_nudge --settings production my.courses.org
python manage.py lms send_upgrade_reminder --settings production my.courses.org
python manage.py lms send_course_update --settings production my.courses.org

You will have to replace my.courses.org with the name of your site, which is probably not example.com as you mentioned in your last post. That should be the name of your site in Django Admin. It could still be example.com if you did not change it.

Remember that some of these messages will be sent after 3 days, 10 days or 21 days in case of nudges for students to buy a certificate or come back to the course. Weekly highlights (sent by send_course_update) will be sent every week after a student has enrolled.

Good luck.

P.S. You will also have to add an entry in Django Admin for your site under Plannings ----> Schedule configs

5 Likes

Hello, according to the second and third points you described. What is described in the documentation is the scheduled rollout, that is, it is not there at the moment, and there is no corresponding flag in the Django admin ScheduleConfig; Why is that?

In the fourth point, you described the need to activate the weekly highlights. Could you please explain the specific activation method?

As described in the documentation, ACE is used to send E-mail through Sailthru to the user’s E-mail address. The Sailthru backend is configured. Does the back end of Sailthru need to be configured?

The flags must be added in the Django Admin Waffle section.

We are not using Sailthru to send the emails. Since we are hosted at AWS, we just use SMTP through AWS SES.

For activating the highlights, if you have activated the dynamic_pacing.studio_course_update waffle switch in Django Admin ----> Waffle ----> Switches, you should see in the Studio content for a self-paced course something like this.

Remember, the course must be on self-paced mode for the weekly highlights to work.

I have been using my colleague’s account before, so I changed to my own account because of the inconvenience of communication. First of all, thank you very much for your answer, but I still cannot send emails to students automatically.

I according to your description in the Django Admin - > Waffle added dynamic_pacing. Studio_course_update, schedules. Send_updates_for_course, schedules. Create_schedules_for_course and start. The diagram below:

NAME ACTIVE NOTE CREATED MODIFIED
schedules.create_schedules_for_course True 34 Dec. 17, 2019, 9:26 p.m. Dec. 17, 2019, 9:27 p.m.
schedules.send_updates_for_course True 12 Dec. 17, 2019, 9:26 p.m. Dec. 17, 2019, 9:27 p.m.
dynamic_pacing.studio_course_update True 56 Dec. 17, 2019, 9:42 p.m. Dec. 17, 2019, 9:42 p.m.

The course is modified to a custom schedule; Input in the LMS container:./manage.py lms send_recurring_nudge example.comin; No email message was received. The following information is printed in the terminal:

------- EMAIL -------
To: 3124847****@qq.com
Subject: Keep learning in python
Body:
Remember when you enrolled in python on herz? We do, and we’re glad to have you! Come see what everyone is learning.

Start learning now <https://example.com/courses/course-v1:suixing+suixing+20191206/course/?utm_content=0fe0644a-89b5-434a-95bd-85f33bb3e1c3&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=recurringnudge_day3&utm_source=schedules&utm_term=course-v1%3Asuixing%2Bsuixing%2B20191206>
-------  END  -------

Finally, I would like to ask whether the configuration described in the official document for sending mail using Sailthru works properly.

1 Like

Since we are not using Sailthru, I cannot help you with that.

Thank you. I would also like to ask about the function of Recurring Nudges, which can send emails automatically. So can I set multiple recipients?

I also want to ask, about the Dynamic Pacing function of Schedules, is only need to set up the Django admin site configuration automatically push email to learners? Or after setting up the Django admin site configuration, enter the container and type: /manage.py LMS send_recurring_nudge example.comcommand, and the email will be pushed to the learner automatically

All of those emails should be set through cron jobs run on a daily basis because users register to a course or multiple courses at different times. You do not have to specify the recipients for the Recurring Nudges (or the other emails for that matter). The Recurring Nudges will send email to users at specific interval (depending on your schedule) if users still have not bought a certificate. This implies that you have set up ecommerce and are selling verified certificates for users.

Nice thread, thanks, @sambapete!

1 Like

Hello everyone.

Thank you all for the explanation.

Is anyone using this now?

Do you know if it works?

Regards

Javier

We’re still using it to send weekly highlights to courses who have enabled it.

1 Like

Hi all,
In case you are using K8s, we have developed a Tutor plugin to manage highlights and nudge emails. You can find it here.

I’ll give it a look. Thanks @Andres.Aulasneo