Open edX Contributors Meetup

This is the recap from the meeting on 2022-03-22.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-22-03-22.mp4

The chat log can be found on the meeting’s agenda .

Participants

@antoviaque
@arbrandes
Kelly Buchanan
@Felipe
@mgmdi
@sarina
Julia Zack
@jmakowski
@Dean
@estebanetcheverry
@dave
@idegtiarov
@feanil

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

• Marketing:
    -Main focus on the Open edX Conference
    -Ongoing tutorial videos for new users
    -Demo Open edX: eduNEXT is already working on that
    -Open edX survey: Open until the end of March

• Frontend:
    -BTR working group has been recommended as the gatekeeper for new MFEs. Pending proper OEP for this.
    -Frontend working group meeting time will change. There is a survey to decide the best time.
    -Discovery on MFE pain points. Reaching out to several members of the community.

• Data:
    -Research on next-gen Insights
    -Notes from the last meeting.

• DEPR:
    -Elastic search
    -Ongoing DEPR projects

• Product:
    -Kick-off meeting during the conference
    -Getting the community roadmap up and running will be the first objective of the wg for the first three months
    -First milestone - Template for adding issues to the roadmap.

3. Events:

Open edX Conference: There will be a virtual event as well for the people that cannot attend the event.

4. Projects:

• Node 16: Ongoing hard work. It has been more complex than expected. Call for help from the community in case there is any spare capacity that could be used to push this project:
    Node 16 Upgrade & Shared Browserslist Config - Google Sheets

• Django events: One PR at a time. Seven new filters to be merged, 6 to go.

5. Improvements and blockers - Retrospective

1. Async channels seem kinda quiet. Is that because everyone’s humming along just fine?

Conclusions:

• This might be related to the workload from each person’s main job.
  • The discussion around this topic should keep going in Discuss since it seems there is not a clear root cause nor an action point yet.

2. Getting feedback/reviews for OSPRs is as always a challenge

Conclusions:

• It is difficult to find someone who has enough experience to review that. It could be useful to have a community expert directory to know who is an expert on what to reach out to the correct person: OEP-56: Architectural Advisory Process
  • Using OEP-55 could be useful.
  • People become experts without knowing they became experts. Building confidence is a point to be considered.
  • If you have done enough to get the community informed about the changes you are trying to implement and even with that, you don’t get enough feedback/reviews, you should trust your gut and go ahead. If it’s broken, someone will raise her hand and put a spotlight on it.
  • Encouraging people to review even if they are not experts is a great way to start acquiring expertise
  • Having reasonable deadlines in place for a review could be a good approach to encourage people to do it and also to resolve the blocker in case the lack of reviews and feedback is preventing the PR from being merged. At the end of that deadline, you should feel comfortable getting the PR merged.
  • Even if you don’t have the ability to provide an improving review it does not mean you can’t give a review

3. I’m difficulty assign something from BTR board to myself or moving issue assigned to me from in progress to Done. How we can improve these how I can perform these tasks myself?

Conclusions:

• If you don’t have the right access to the repository where the issue is you cannot self-assign or assign that person. However, if that person comments and says “you can assign this to me”, that person will get the issue assigned.

Further information: Core Contributor Sprint Retro - March 4-18th

Next meetup

Tuesday April 5th at 15:00 UTC (Timezone converter).

Details and draft agenda on the Github board .

4 Likes