Core Contributor Sprint Retro - March 4-18th

This is the retro for the sprint March 4-18th - thank you to the core contributors who have submitted their check-in!

Check-ins

The content of the check-ins can be found there:

Improvements

Here are the points that have been listed for improvement. Pick 1 to 3 options by Tuesday, and we’ll try to address & assign action items on the most voted:

• Getting feedback/reviews for OSPRs is as always a challenge (@Felipe)
  • I’m difficulty assign something from BTR board to myself or moving issue assigned to me from in progress to Done. How we can improve these how I can perform these tasks myself? (@Zia_Fazal)
  • Is Tutor ready for doing development? I tried to review a PR with Tutor instead of devstack, and the documentation wasn’t comparable. In the interests of time, I switched back to devstack. , I can’t get the kudos feature to work in friday.app. Somehow the people I want to thank are never in the drop-down list. (@pdpinch)
  • Async channels seem kinda quiet. Is that because everyone’s humming along just fine? (@sarina)
  • I should get right the time for the check-in. Also, I need learn more about the CCs processes (@mgmdi)
  • weeks should have a few more days. (@juancamilom)
  • Hummm regarding the hours, should I really keep track of my hours? somestuff I report aren’t really assigen to me officially as a core contributor since I am a translator… So should I only report stuff related to my official responsibility or everything ? (@ghassan)

0 voters

Totals contributed

To encourage broader reporting, here are the totals of the hours reported in the last four sprint sheets (Mar 18th, Mar 4th, Feb 18, Jan 21):

Core contributor Hours contributed
Piotr Surowiec 50
Jillian Vogel 35
Juan Camilo Montoya 30
Gabriel D’Amours 29
Peter Pinch 27
Zia Fazal 26
Xavier Antoviaque 24
Ali Hugo 24
Felipe Montoya 20
Ghassan Maslamani 20
Matjaz Gregoric 19
Sarina Canelake 18
Braden MacDonald 17
Giovanni Cimolin 16
Sofiane Bebert 16
Jhony Avella 11
Nizar Mahmoud 10
Maria Grimaldi 8
Usman Khalid 8
Omar Al-Ithawi 6
Nicole Kessler 2
Grand Total 416
3 Likes

Hi core contributors – there is until today to vote & comment on the blockers listed above. I’ll bring up the most voted ones at the contributors meetup tomorrow, which haven’t been resolved async by then.

Is Tutor ready for doing development? I tried to review a PR with Tutor instead of devstack, and the documentation wasn’t comparable. In the interests of time, I switched back to devstack. … (@pdpinch)

Hey Peter, @regis and I are actively working to make Tutor suitable as a drop-in Devstack replacement. You can see our roadmap here; check out the epic titled “Dev Quality-Of-Life”. Happy to hear what pain points & documentation gaps you or anyone else found so that we can make sure they’re on that roadmap!

2 Likes

We discussed the three blockers with the most votes during the last Contributors meetup on Tuesday – @jalondonot did an amazing job summing them up in the meeting recap:

We agreed to see how it goes, as well as to encourage bringing up any blocker or issue around CC work.

=> I posted a question related to this in the OEP, about whether maintainers would be required to provide reviews: https://github.com/openedx/open-edx-proposals/pull/290#discussion_r834141344 . And see also https://github.com/openedx/open-edx-proposals/pull/290#discussion_r834091497

Also here @sarina took on an action item, to start a discussion (in the forums, or maybe in a new PR?) about how/when to grant the read/write privilege that allows to assign issues. In this case it could make sense to grant that privilege to @Zia_Fazal but there should be a limit to who gets that write privilege, as it means also having write access to the corresponding git repository.

2 Likes
1 Like