Juniper Alpha 1

The production edx.org servers have been running on Python 3 since Tuesday. So that the community can help test the stability of the code, and get a preview of what’s coming, I’ve made the first alpha release of Juniper, the next Open edX release.

This is not the official start of the Juniper release. We have not yet created the Juniper master branches, so all current work on the masters in all repos will still affect Juniper, and be included in Juniper. The current plan is to start the official Juniper release process once we have Django 2.2 running on all our services.

We don’t have release notes yet, but engineers have been making notes in the Juniper wiki page about important changes. One of the things you can tell is if changes that affected you aren’t on that page.

You can install it with the Ubuntu Native installation instructions using the setting:

export OPENEDX_RELEASE=open-release/juniper.alpha1

We need information from you about this code. Is it working for you? What’s missing? We have some time to address gaps if you identify them for us.

To discuss any aspect of the Juniper Alpha 1, create a new topic with “Juniper Alpha” as part of the title.

7 Likes

This is great news! Congrats on running Open edX with Python 3 in production. I’ve already managed to convert the openedx docker image used for Tutor to the Juniper alpha tag, although there remain issues (the one I’m currently dealing with has to do with the JWT settings). I’ll be sure to write a post that summarizes my findings once I reach a stable point.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Juniper Alpha 1 questions

Just a note that I am applying fixes to this branch, so it is slowly changing over time.

When I created this topic, the edx/configuration repo was at commit 0111cd4c5. Now it has had six fixes applied to it:

* 75c903049 2020-01-24 (open-release/juniper.alpha1) Properly set the version of xqueue to install Ned Batchelder
* 8470d73cc 2020-01-24 Disable AWS facts Ned Batchelder
* e7433e033 2020-01-10 Automated user should not be added to ssh allow users, as it could be a real user, and is causing openedx users to be locked out when doing native installs. (#5595) Cory Lee
* c4de81cf2 2020-01-02 Add certs back to the Open edX installation, with the correct requirements file Ned Batchelder
* 3bd4be070 2019-12-20 Need -y for automated installs Ned Batchelder
* e342dcc08 2019-12-20 Fix Open edX installation in a few ways (#5587) Ned Batchelder

If you have had problems with Juniper Alpha 1 before, and one of these sounds like the fix, please try it again.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Prospectus variables in Juniper alpha1

A post was split to a new topic: Micro-frontends in Juniper?