Open edX Contributors Meetup

This event doesn’t seem to be on that calendar? Can we add it?

1 Like

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-06-28.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-28-06-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing (@estebanetcheverry ):

  • The creation of the Open edX vs Moodle video comparison is in progress. Led by Esteban and Eden. This is the document where they have put the key information it should contain.
  • A list of How-To videos is available here. The idea is that everyone records the videos with the themes they select to collaborate on. Then the videos will go through a revision phase and, finally, they will be edited to give them the same visual identity.
  • Updates and testing of the Open edX Sandbox are in process.

BTR (@nedbat @Dean ):

Frontend (@arbrandes):

Data (@andres @e0d @mafermazu ):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov ):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski):

  • They held their first meeting! You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque):

  • They are expecting to meet during mid-July.

Request for help:

Xavier is looking for some feedback on TOC Community Members Elections - Brainstorm thread

3. Events:

  • Nothing to add. Please to let me know in case you have any updates on this.

4. Projects:

  • Django events and filters (@mgmdi - @Felipe): They are close to finishing the backport to Nutmeg.

Request for help:

They require some review to [BD-32] feat: Open edX Filters backport by mariajgrimaldi · Pull Request #30583 · openedx/edx-platform · GitHub

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @braden )

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

1 Like

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-07-12.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-12-07-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing (@estebanetcheverry ):

  • Next Open edX Meetup - Integrating Text to Speech for Inclusive Learning - Registration here for July 21.
  • We are still waiting for reviews to be sent from Open edX in E-learning Industry at this link
  • The creation of the Open edX vs Moodle video is in the process (in charge of Esteban). Here is the script
  • In regard to the How-To videos, It has not yet been decided if someone will go to NY or if everything will be worked remotely. For this, it was proposed to discuss the topic on a card created by Eden to collect all the opinions of the group. The commitment is that for the next session all the scripts of the videos on the list will be presented.

BTR (@nedbat @Dean ):

  • Nothing to report here since most of the working group members are on holiday. They expect to restart activities next week.

Frontend (@arbrandes):

Data (@andres @e0d @mafermazu ):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!
  • A new hosted Grimoire Labs dashboard is running and is viewable by anyone in the community. The dashboard aggregates community data from across the Open edX project. Take a look!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov ):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque):

  • They are still working on figuring out the process for the election of the community members. They will publish the proposal in the next few days.

Request for help:

@dave is looking for some feedback or review to New Working Group Proposal: Architecture Coordination

3. Events:

  • Next Open edX Meetup - Integrating Text to Speech for Inclusive Learning - Registration here for July 21.

4. Projects:

  • Nothing to add here.

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @braden )

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

4 Likes

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-07-26.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-26-07-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing (@estebanetcheverry ) - start at 4:22:

  • Lista Flow tool was discussed, to measure the time spent on contributions to the community. However, the possibility was mentioned that it should not be measured per person, but per organization and, for practicality, that it should be weighted in results/deliverables and not only in time spent.
  • Update of the Open edX Sandbox. Discussion on the legal approach to using the Sandbox and the edunext brand. Next steps: agree on a solution, either through a royalty payment to edunext for the development of the Sandbox or another alternative.
  • Discussed the need to generate incentives within the Working Group to help ensure that contributions are completed in a timely manner.

BTR (@Dean ) - start at 1:23:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 6:37:

  • The work to add a way for MFEs to fetch configuration dynamically from edx-platform has been finished by the eduNEXT team! check it out.
  • OpenCraft is working on dynamic theming. Further details in Kshitij’s SCSS to CSS variables ADR and Kshitij’s common MFE stylesheet ADR.
  • They are thinking of ways to make reviews easier and faster by introducing issue labels to identify which PRs need urgent reviews or considering using sandboxes. Reach out to Adolfo to join the discussion! this will also be discussed in the multilateral effort several contributors are leading regarding Kubernetes and Tutor in Open edX.

Data (@andres @e0d @mafermazu ) - start at 19:29:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 24:32:

Request for help:

@Dean highlights the importance of each working group to join and contribute to the Product WG with at least one member in order to be aligned and keep the same north in mind.

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 26:41:

  • They are still working on figuring out the process for the election of the community members. Here you can find the proposal.

3. Events - start at 33:07:

  • Last Open edX Meetup - Integrating Text to Speech for Inclusive Learning: The communication, transmission, and recording worked better than the last Open edX Meetups. The time management improved as well :grin:

4. Projects - start at 35:01:

  • Community onboarding course: It seems the effort has slowed down a little bit. They will focus on enumerating the courses the community would require for this purpose to restart the work.

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 38:58:

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-08-09.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-09-08-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing (@estebanetcheverry ) - start at 0:55:

  • The next Open edX virtual meetup will feature two experts in online education, focused on enhancing student engagement to optimize learning. Register now!

BTR (@Dean ) - start at 10:18:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!
  • There is a multilateral effort being led by several contributors regarding Kubernetes and Tutor in Open edX. Feel free to join the discussion.

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 15:18:

Request for help:

A review of Suggested changes to the MFE Config API would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Data (@andres @e0d @mafermazu ) - start at 16:56:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov) - start at 20:53:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 29:14:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!
  • Jenna prepared a great Group Charter proposal. Join the discussion!
  • Sarina started the discussion on the proposal to kick off a Product Manager role. Check it out!
  • Kyle McCormick shared a great chart of the product cores of Open edX as a product.

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 33:33:

  • They are still working on figuring out the process for the election of the community members. Here you can find the proposal.

3. Events - start at 35:12:

  • The next Open edX virtual meetup will feature two experts in online education, focused on enhancing student engagement to optimize learning. Register now!

4. Projects

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 35:59:

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

1 Like

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-08-23.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-23-08-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing:

  • No members of this working group attended the meeting

BTR - start at 0:54:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!
  • There is a multilateral effort being led by several contributors regarding Kubernetes and Tutor in Open edX. Feel free to join the discussion.

Frontend (@arbrandes):

  • No members of this working group attended the meeting

Data (@andres @e0d @mafermazu ):

  • No members of this working group attended the meeting
  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov):

  • No members of this working group attended the meeting
  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 6:22:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 10:27:

  • They are still working on figuring out the process for the election of the community members. Here you can find the proposal.

Architecture Coordination - start at 11:14:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

3. Events:

  • Here you can find the recording from the last event.

4. Projects

  • No updates here.

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 12:58

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

1 Like

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-09-06.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-06-09-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing:

  • No members of this working group attended the meeting

BTR - start at 0:52:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!
  • There is a multilateral effort being led by several contributors regarding Kubernetes and Tutor in Open edX. Feel free to join the discussion.

Request for help:

  • The team is looking for new members. Reach out to them if you are interested in collaborating.

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 3:38:

  • tCRIL already has a front-end development team that is working on maintenance and debugging. Lend them a hand with some reviews :slight_smile:

Data (@andres @e0d @mafermazu ) - start at 9:5:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov) - start at 11:47:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 14:42:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

tCRIL - start at 17:07:

  • tCRIL’s team is currently working on an interesting project to reduce and simplify the Open edX platform core. The effort is still in a very early stage, but feel free to reach out to them if you are interested in contributing to the discussion.

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 19:47:

Architecture Coordination:

  • No meeting was held during the last two weeks.

3. Events:

  • September Open edX Meetup will happen on September 22. Register and save the date :slight_smile:

4. Projects - start at 30:46**:

  • Raccoongang and tCRIL are working on a Verifiable Credentials feature for Open edX. The project is still in the specification phase and they are eager to share what has been discussed until now. Reach out to them if you’d like to contribute to the project :slight_smile:

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 43:42

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

@jalondonot There’s still no event in the Working Group calendar for this meeting. Is there supposed to be?

I haven’t been able to do it, @nedbat. Do I need special permission over that calendar for this?

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-09-20.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-09-20-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing - start at 1:07

  • How-to Videos: IBL Collaboration. The How-To videos will be filmed in New York with the sponsorship of Open edX.

  • The Open edX 2023 Conference will take place during the last week of March 2023 and planning activities are beginning. There is this draft to leave ideas about it.

BTR:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 4:36:

Data (@andres @e0d) - start at 9:25:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov) - start at 10:37:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 12:06:

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 20:34:

Architecture Coordination - start at 24:30:

  • No meeting was held during the last two weeks.

3. Events:

  • September Open edX Meetup will happen on September 22. Register and save the date :slight_smile:

4. Projects - start at 27:47:

  • Raccoongang and tCRIL are working on a Verifiable Credentials feature for Open edX. The project is still in the specification phase and they are eager to share what has been discussed until now. Reach out to them if you’d like to contribute to the project :slight_smile:

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 40:15:

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-10-04.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-04-10-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing - start at 0:54

  • How-to Videos: IBL Collaboration. The How-To videos will be filmed in New York with the sponsorship of Open edX. tCRIL will decide who (5 Persons) is going to travel to the recording session and cover the travel expenses of each. For this, 2 people sent the casting to participate (Juan Camilo from edunext and Esteban from Auslasneo). At least 3 more applications are needed.

  • The Open edX 2023 Conference will take place during the last week of March 2023 and planning activities are beginning. There is this draft to leave ideas about it. Eden mentioned that they want to recognize outstanding contributors during the event.

BTR - start at 4:46:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 14:12:

  • The main discussions in the working group have been around improving the phase of approving PRs through improving PRs testing instructions but the root cause seems to be a matter of availability. Strengthening the Maintainers Program should be a priority.

Data (@andres @e0d) - start at 27:23:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov) - start at 31:41:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 35:20:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 35:54:

Architecture Coordination:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

3. Events:

4. Projects:

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ):

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-10-18.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-18-10-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing - start at 0:54

  • How-to Videos: IBL Collaboration. The How-To videos will be filmed in New York with the sponsorship of Open edX. tCRIL will decide who (5 Persons) is going to travel to the recording session and cover the travel expenses of each. For this, 2 people sent the casting to participate (Juan Camilo from edunext and Esteban from Auslasneo). At least 3 more applications are needed.

  • The Open edX 2023 Conference will take place during the last week of March 2023 and planning activities are beginning. There is this draft to leave ideas about it. Eden mentioned that they want to recognize outstanding contributors during the event.

BTR - start at 1:50:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 3:37:

Data (@andres @e0d) - start at 16:17:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov) - start at 18:31:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 20:17:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 23:16:

Architecture Coordination - start at 24:30:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

3. Events:

4. Projects:

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ):

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

https://discuss.openedx.org/t/core-contributor-sprint-retro-1-october-15-october/8546/2

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-11-01.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-01-11-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing - start at 1:03

  • An awards ceremony is being planned to recognize the efforts of contributors and community members. If anyone has ideas on what this awards ceremony could look like, it would be helpful to the community. Consideration has been given to having the categories be the working groups (but the award will be individual).

  • The Conference 2023 announcement blog is now live, as are the sponsorship opportunities available. The call for conference proposals will close in January.

  • Open edX can provide visa application letters as long as:
    -Applicants have an appointment available at the local embassy prior to the date of the conference
    -Applicants have an assured ticket to the event

BTR - start at 2:04:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 3:28:

Data (@andres @e0d) - start at 16:41:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!
  • In the past two weeks there’s not been a ton of movement - two big things happening are moving existing documentation into docs.openedx.org, and redocumenting the events to make sense/removing events that no longer exist (this is started & ongoing, 1st pr has landed)
  • Shout out to Jill - she’s done a bunch of discovery work on how we can make Apache superset work with our permissions model - impacts how we do insights replacement. If we can’t use it we’ll have to take some serious thought. Superset is what Cairn and Figures use, so the community is using it and we’d rather do what people know.

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 24:56:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 34:13

tCRIL - start at 38:19

Architecture Coordination - start at 24:30:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here

3. Events:

4. Projects

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 51:07:

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-11-15.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-15-11-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing:

  • The Conference 2023 announcement blog is now live, as are the sponsorship opportunities available. The call for conference proposals will close in January.

  • Open edX can provide visa application letters as long as:

  • Applicants have an appointment available at the local embassy prior to the date of the conference
  • Applicants have an assured ticket to the event

BTR - start at 0:39:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 2:19:

Data (@brian) - start at 3:25:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

DEPR (@feanil @dave @idegtiarov):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 4:50:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 9:05

Architecture Coordination:

  • No meeting was held during the last two weeks.

3. Events:

4. Projects

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 14:02:

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side note: We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!

Next meetup

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-11-29.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-29-11-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing:

  • The Open edX Conference 2023 announcement blog is now live, as are the sponsorship opportunities available. The call for conference proposals will close in January. More details here

  • Open edX can provide visa application letters as long as:

  • Applicants have an appointment available at the local embassy prior to the date of the conference
  • Applicants have an assured ticket to the event

BTR - start at 1:11:

Request for help:

Developer Experience - start at 16:47:

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 30:14:

Data (@brian) - start at 35:42:

  • The last meeting was canceled.

DEPR - start at 38:13(@feanil @dave @idegtiarov):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 39:02:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 43:47

Architecture Coordination:

  • The last meeting was canceled.

3. Events:

4. Projects

Deploying Open edX on Kubernetes Using Helm - start at 11:15:

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 46:36:

  • @Dean and @antoviaque prepared a great recap of what was discussed at this point of the meeting:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side notes:

  • We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!
  • There was a consensus on recording all working group meetings from now on since, in some cases, the meeting notes are not enlightening enough.

Next meetup

2 Likes

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2022-12-13.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-13-12-22

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing:

  • The Open edX Conference 2023 announcement blog is now live, as are the sponsorship opportunities available. The call for conference proposals will close in January. More details here

  • Open edX can provide visa application letters as long as:

  • Applicants have an appointment available at the local embassy prior to the date of the conference
  • Applicants have an assured ticket to the event

BTR - start at 4:36:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 10:24:

Data (@brian) - start at 13:37:

DEPR - start at 15:28(@feanil @dave @idegtiarov):

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 39:02:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

3. Events:

4. Projects

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 21:21

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side notes:

  • We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!
  • There was a consensus on recording all working group meetings from now on since, in some cases, the meeting notes are not enlightening enough.

Next meetup

1 Like

Hi all! Here is the recap from the meeting we held on 2023-01-10.

Video Recording

ConMeetup-10-01-23

Participants

Meeting notes

2. Working Groups Follow-Ups:

Marketing - start at 2:21

  • The Open edX Conference 2023 announcement blog is now live, as are the sponsorship opportunities available. The call for conference proposals will close in January. More details here

  • Open edX can provide visa application letters as long as:

  • Applicants have an appointment available at the local embassy prior to the date of the conference
  • Applicants have an assured ticket to the event
  • The January meetup is open for registration! more information here.

BTR - start at 11:03:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

Developer Experience and DevOps - start at 17:52:

Frontend (@arbrandes) - start at 26:44:

Data (@brian) - start at 28:54

DEPR - start at 31:52

Product (@jmakowski) - start at 32:23:

  • You can find the notes of the last meeting here!

TOC (@antoviaque) - start at 44:43

3. Events:

4. Projects

Deploying Open edX on Kubernetes Using Helm - start at 51:28:

5. Improvements and Calls/offers for help (@Dean @antoviaque ) - start at 54:03:

If you think you can lend a hand to any of the core contributors that are blocked, feel free to reach out to them!

Side notes:

  • We now have an Open edX Working Group Calendar!
  • There was a consensus on recording all working group meetings from now on since, in some cases, the meeting notes are not enlightening enough.

Next meetup

2 Likes